Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 17-18th Winter Storm Thread.

John1122

50 minutes ago, Olhausen said:

I’ve learned over the years since living here not to get to excited or down based on what winter is being forecast to do each season. I also use the law of averages and I am far enough north that if 2 winters are bad the 3rd usually won’t be. This one has not disappointed for my area.

I've lived on the same farm 31 years, and I'll take observation of nature as a winter predictor over any other, frankly. Forecasting only goes so far, and 48 hours might be the limit of what we can accurately do now. :) I look at both for long-range indications but watching nature has been far more accurate about general seasonal patterns on my patch of ground. It matters a lot, too, when I am already thinking now of what I need to produce and how I need to get it done given future seasonal estimates to get my cattle through NEXT winter. Of course, most people have lost all innate concept of their place in nature or of what the ebb and flow of natural cycles that surround them means, so it can be understood if they don't pay attention or give them little credence. 

In southern Lincoln County, 7 miles above AL, it is 41 with calm winds and barometer at 29.96. Drip, drip, drip...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jed33 said:

Unbelievable that even Austin TX and places even further south are getting snow yet again today! This would have to rank in the top 2 or 3 snowiest and coldest periods in history for that area! 

Yes, my brother in San Antonio said it's snowing there, he has no power and the stores are empty of everything.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Wintersnow888 said:

Not sure when it switched to rain ,had sleet at 1 a.m. for a while. Had a nice 4-5 inches before the rain started ruining it! Still coming down and not showing up on radar. Currently 33/32dp

Would've been another 7-9" incher if it stayed snow I think. It started at 1.5" per hour rates and right as the heaviest stuff on radar came through it went to all rain. I'm still very happy with it considering it was supposed to be 45 and raining here last night until a couple days ago.

• Like 1

Glad to see literally dozens of new faces on the Forum. Helps to get snow in Memphis and the entire Mid-South, North Alabama and Middle Tennessee including Nashville. 

Chattanooga had sleet toward 10 pm Wed. Feb. 17. Light sleet continued mixed with light rain I'm guessing until around Midnight (back-cast not direct ob) perhaps as late as 3am. Enough was left in the morning to be observed on some roofs, the grill and deck. 

Not an impressive observation, especially since KCHA was above freezing for most of the event, but figured I'd log it for posterity. New members, please stick around.

• Like 9

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Few Pics 1st pic the day as the first storm was slowly winding down, close to 3 inches of pure sleet on the highway. Pic 2- we had sleet drifts instead of snow drifts. Pic 3 after Storm 2, the sleet and freezing rain combo storm. Pic 4 gives a bit better view of how much fell.  

BCDD4FDB-36E1-4B68-BB60-320C90DAD1C6.jpeg

8582AFB2-EFC5-4738-AF4D-35765590D30A.jpeg

9425FDC4-0FB2-4878-BB84-EF5F1D109C43.jpeg

7FA03CD9-FF54-43E7-AC4C-82FFC7FB460A.png

• Like 8

4 hours ago, AMZ8990 said:

Bummer.  Hope you can get out soon!  Roads are bad down here as well with the exception of the major highways.

I got my mini van out,let it sit for 45 min with the engine on then was able to pull up another car length and let it sit for 45 more.that way i was able to get a running start.My car though is stuck down the road,i should be able to get it tomorrow

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 5:47 PM, Holston_River_Rambler said:

@Tobiewx how farest ye? 

Sorry for the delayed response, took about a week off, I ended up with around 6 for the Wednesday event, storm total for all of last week was between 8 to 10 inches, was a great week, I had snow on the ground all the way up to this Wednesday, definitely was a history maker as far as temps go, only seen that one other time in my life time.

• Like 1