Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February 17-18th Winter Storm Thread.

John1122

4 minutes ago, Greyhound said:

I'll be honest, if it's going to be washed all away by the rain shortly thereafter........I would rather it just be all rain instead.  

It wouldn't be washed away by rain. It actually would freeze into a solid block as the next front passes and temps fall behind the system. Several models have it switching back to snow. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, John1122 said:

It wouldn't be washed away by rain. It actually would freeze into a solid block as the next front passes and temps fall behind the system. Several models have it switching back to snow. 

Ours is showing a 60% chance of snow Thursday night with less than an inch Accumulations now. Whatever happens, Friday is probably gonna be a messy commute.

I for one could do with out all the freezing rain expected.  This last storm, we didn’t change over until the very tail end, ended up with about 3 inches of sleet on all roads.  It’s going to be forever getting that off and now the huge threat of freezing rain.  Wish for once, the warm nose forecast is wrong.  We’ve been below freezing since some time last Thursday.  In the teens since early Sunday and the water pressure in the whole town has slowed to a crawl.  Don’t need power outages on top of that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, david30 said:

I for one could do with out all the freezing rain expected.  This last storm, we didn’t change over until the very tail end, ended up with about 3 inches of sleet on all roads.  It’s going to be forever getting that off and now the huge threat of freezing rain.  Wish for once, the warm nose forecast is wrong.  We’ve been below freezing since some time last Thursday.  In the teens since early Sunday and the water pressure in the whole town has slowed to a crawl.  Don’t need power outages on top of that.

Been awesome having Mississippi posters on the forum.  Really glad to have you all back posting.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dwagner88 said:

It would take a very strange scenario to wind up with 3-4" of snow in downtown Chattanooga, and nothing in Polk Co. In fact that might be unheard of.

I've seen it happen here in Monroe..Sweetwater to Mt Vernon area pickup 3"-4"....Tellico nada but rain. If the downsloping winds are strong enough, it will scour the foothills that bank right up against the Smokies/CNF quickly, while 5-10 miles away locks in the cold way longer.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, McMinnWx said:

How well has the HRRR done this winter vs. the NAM?  

I feel like it has done well in modeling the boundary layer issues I've had with storms here vs other modeling. That said, I can't remember how far the lead time was for it nailing those,. It's still pretty far out in HRRR land right now. 

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic