Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 18-19 Event

hazwoper

Just now, 21chuck said:

Hi all, been lurking for a while now but thought Id join to chime in with snow reports from South Philly - since most of what we seem to get here is stellar reports from the NW burbs while South Philly fights the sleet/snow line. Though it looks like that line is pushing south at the same time some very heavy bands (2"+ rates?) coming from the SW - hoping for good returns soon! 

Welcome!  There are a couple of us city-proper posters here. Seems we have issues beyond the snow/sleet line that have to do with what is going on in the upper atmosphere with warm noses and whatnot!  I think this was pretty much expected - a "front end thump" followed by mixing and then when the coastal takes over, some possible additional, although it remains to be seen if more rain happens with that.  If anything, it is interesting to see where the band of heaviest snow had/had set up and it's a pretty narrow gradient for that at the moment.

• Like 1

Just now, Kevin Reilly said:

About to get demolished by that band coming up from the south in Media Delaware County wish I knew of its snow or sleet when it gets here.

Its most certainly sleet, thus the higher returns and the fact CC shows it pretty well.  Remains to be seen where it will shift back to snow.  Thinking just north of city for some time.  The rates shown on radar will drop where it switches to snow.

2 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

Its most certainly sleet, thus the higher returns and the fact CC shows it pretty well.  Remains to be seen where it will shift back to snow.  Thinking just north of city for some time.  The rates shown on radar will drop where it switches to snow.

Well here in Media it’s coming in as snow 95% snow 5% sleet 24 degrees umm wow guy in Wilmington is right Heavy Snow in Media Delaware County must be overcoming the thin warm layer with the heaviest rates. 

Screenshot_20210218-102149_RadarScope.jpg

17 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Welcome!  There are a couple of us city-proper posters here. Seems we have issues beyond the snow/sleet line that have to do with what is going on in the upper atmosphere with warm noses and whatnot!  I think this was pretty much expected - a "front end thump" followed by mixing and then when the coastal takes over, some possible additional, although it remains to be seen if more rain happens with that.  If anything, it is interesting to see where the band of heaviest snow had/had set up and it's a pretty narrow gradient for that at the moment.

17 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Thanks! Although you seem to be atop Mt Philadelphia or something getting twice the totals I see down here sometimes.:lol:

Aforementioned heavy stuff below, although the sleet line has come up a bit with it!

Screenshot_20210218-102832_RadarScope.jpglockquote widget

Just now, 21chuck said:

Thanks! Although you seem to be atop Mt Philadelphia or something getting twice the totals I see down here.:lol:

Aforementioned heavy stuff below, although the sleet line has come up a bit with it!

Screenshot_20210218-102832_RadarScope.jpg

Born and raised in "Mt." Airy and living in Chestnut "Hill".  :lol:   I think the highest elevation up in this area... not too far up the way from me to the west, is about 425 ft elevation.

There are the little Montco towns literally about 4 - 5 miles to my north (and either west or east - Whitemarsh and Glenside) that have been reporting 8", so I am sortof on the southern fringe of the heavier band.

• Like 1