Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2021 Mid-Atlantic Severe Weather - General Discussion

Kmlwx

10 hours ago, WEATHER53 said:

I think winds may have been 60?

That sounds about right.  The soil was damp after all the rain earlier in the week, but a neighbor had a healthy white pine snapped ~30 feet up.  And I saw countless large limbs down in addition to the numerous full trees that were down.  My initial estimate from watching the winds come through was ~50 mph, but after seeing the damage, I wouldn't be surprised if some spots saw ~60.

30 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

No kicker, we lose.

Had a good streak this week. I'm okay with a dud day at this point. Almost time to start looking for east coast tropical too ;) 

OT - but I really hope we are done with 95+ after this heat wave ends. Past August 15th I'm going into fall mode and hunting the first fall cold front. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Had a good streak this week. I'm okay with a dud day at this point. Almost time to start looking for east coast tropical too ;) 

OT - but I really hope we are done with 95+ after this heat wave ends. Past August 15th I'm going into fall mode and hunting the first fall cold front. 

Tomorrow could be sneaky good. We've been baking for 2 days and there's an actual front pressing down.

no lack of fuel in the atmosphere today, that's for sure.  feels every bit as hot as yesterday.  i moved to frederick recently and had a nice downburst or outflow the other day, probably enhanced by the catoctin's.  i'm so used to the moco climate that i've gotta get used to how things develop here.

50 minutes ago, 87storms said:

no lack of fuel in the atmosphere today, that's for sure.  feels every bit as hot as yesterday.  i moved to frederick recently and had a nice downburst or outflow the other day, probably enhanced by the catoctin's.  i'm so used to the moco climate that i've gotta get used to how things develop here.

What part of Fred Co? I am in the SW part of the Co and the mountains and Potomac affect anything coming in from the South and the West. We usually do pretty good down here when it drops from the NW. That being said my area has not been that lucky this year. Very dry down here. 

46 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

What part of Fred Co? I am in the SW part of the Co and the mountains and Potomac affect anything coming in from the South and the West. We usually do pretty good down here when it drops from the NW. That being said my area has not been that lucky this year. Very dry down here. 

I’m nw of downtown/rosemont, in between yellow springs and ft Detrick. Not too far from gambrill state park.

I don’t think the entire area has gotten much rain compared to the last few years. I mountain bike a fair amount and even Moco has had some relatively dry trails.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmlwx said:

Radar looks pretty good to the west. Now we wait and see how much punch it has once it gets closer to the metros. 

I'm expecting something similar to Wednesday, as have a similar combination of high CAPE and fairly high downdraft CAPE but no shear.    Storms will pulse, and there will be some impressive wind events, but it shouldn't be anything too organized.

• Like 1