Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2021 Mid-Atlantic Severe Weather - General Discussion

Kmlwx

46 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

We've talked anecdotally about it in years past - but radar kind of looks like the longggg lines of continuous storms from the 90s and early 2000s. That kicker @Eskimo Joe - mentioned earlier today is definitely putting the work in thus far. We'll see what happens to the east...the HRRR kind of had a tendency to kill off storms as they approached the metros - but IMO it hasn't been great the past few days. Perhaps the pulsey nature is throwing guidance for a loop a bit with no organized trigger. 

I was thinking exactly the same thing just a few minutes ago.

7 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Anyways, DC split looks real, though might be a couple thundershowers coming out from under the radar beam. Wouldn't mind a break today, anyway.

lol, SVR warned. of course. Guess things might be loosened up by yesterday, so a proactive call, even if there is no way in hell we verify this looking at radar.

4 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Radar looks pretty meh for that metro area warning - granted I haven't looked at the TDWRs

I wonder if they issued it in anticipation of pulse storms developing on the outflow.  We already see initiation.  Seems like they'd hit maturity just as their getting inside the beltway.

6 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Radar looks pretty meh for that metro area warning - granted I haven't looked at the TDWRs

I think that the warnings were for the surging outflow, but new storms are now firing on that outflow boundary.    Tricky day to forecast, as the lack of shear keeps allowing the outflow to surge way out ahead of the storms, so we rely on re-development for the downstream threats.

So, not sure if I can explain this well enough, but here goes.  Is there such a thing as a super gust front or meso-gust front?  I like to think I am pretty aware of a standard gust front signature on radar, but I just saw something interesting on College of DuPage's Satellite loop.  If you click on the GOES-East Washington DC (Localized Sector) and set it to 96 frames.  Up in Eastern Central PA around Pittsburg watch at frame 66 (18:11:17 UTC) to frame 88 (20:06:17 UTC).  There is a very large bow arc that appears to shoot off a large cluster of storms and races south east.  This is now triggering more storms out in the west.  This seems much larger than a typical gust front, or at least that I can recall.  Anyone chime in to what I was looking at?  Thanks for any help.  

9 minutes ago, high risk said:

That's a nasty wind signal over Silver Spring now.   Hearing that it was pretty bad as it passed through Bethesda.

Didn’t see anything up on Montgomery County Fire Twitter yet, so hopefully nothing too serious.  Well, beltway is fubur more than usual.  That is not a shock though.

It is so incredible how the atmosphere is ready to pop if the right trigger is applied.  That line went from nothing to dangerous in maybe 15mins.  This is one of those things that draws me to this “hobby”.  

10 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Lightning strike to a house in Gaithersburg.

Lots of damage reports spanning from around North Bethesda to the Holy Cross Hospital area. 

Can confirm.  We've got trees down in the neighborhood and no power.  Core of the winds passed just south of here, but I'd estimate the gusts were approaching 50 mph.

43 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Can confirm.  We've got trees down in the neighborhood and no power.  Core of the winds passed just south of here, but I'd estimate the gusts were approaching 50 mph.

Saw a brief 60-65mph pixel on one of the TDWRs. The worst definitely missed me in Colesville just south. Pretty good string of storm days around the area. While not every locale has been hit daily - many are cashing in. 

2 hours ago, high risk said:

Winds definitely hit severe criteria in southern Howard County.   Wow.    Power went off but has thankfully returned.

Things were frickin rocking in Jessup. Best storm in last couple years honestly. Just kept getting stronger gusts when I thought it was over - wild storm!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

Drove around a bit.  A number of trees down, a ton of branches down.  Definitely a top 5 storm over the past 18 years that I've lived here.

• Like 1