• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2021 Mid-Atlantic Severe Weather - General Discussion

Kmlwx

I agree with everyone that the best signals for intense storms are for DC and points south, but there are plenty of CAMs that still have 40 dbz storms north of town.   It's reflected in the 12z HREF output which shows a 90% chance between 19 and 23z  of 40 dbz within 20 km of a point  for much of the area in:

1688174721_ScreenShot2021-07-14at2_08_10PM.thumb.png.ea99779bb713855d281b4c35f550dcc0.png

To be clear, that's a probably of a storm with 20 km of a point, so the activity could be scattered, but I'll happily take that map.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

That I66 line got lame in a hurry.  Down to 78 with the outflow here.  Practically pleasant.

Personal amateur thoughts (correct me where needed):

Yeah. That I-66 line was doomed once the southern storms quickly matured (close enough to the I-66 line to rob it of lift.) They would also have to deal with the high clouds blowing northwards from the southern storms blocking sunshine from reaching the surface stunting low-level mixing, again, making storm survival more difficult. The gust front from the southern storms sealed the deal. 

2 hours ago, mattie g said:

I was thinking the same as George BM above - that it might crumble as the first line blew up and robbed the trailing line of energy.

Sometimes it seems to play a huge factor, and other times it doesn’t.  I’m sure it is all about the structure of the atmosphere above the surface.  My 0.01” suggests that it was a killer this time.

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

Sometimes it seems to play a huge factor, and other times it doesn’t.  I’m sure it is all about the structure of the atmosphere above the surface.  My 0.01” suggests that it was a killer this time.

damn.  Someone got less than my 0.08"

1 hour ago, blueberryfaygo said:

Okay.. so my dad who is 73 years old, lives in Rosedale and who's hobby is the weather.. just told my mom that that storm was the worst storm he ever saw in his life.  

I guess we dont have any representation from that side of Baltimore county here :)

there were posts on it in the disc/obs thread from a few over that way