Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2021 Mid-Atlantic Severe Weather - General Discussion

Kmlwx

7 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

That line looks nice and solid now, but I have higher elevations in almost a semicircle to my W all the way around to the NE, and many times these lines break up over me then reform to the east.  We'll see...

I feel like we all anecdotally feel this way (myself included). I'm easy of you (north of Silver Spring) and I feel like they do the same thing here. 

Gotta say - I'm not a fan of the huge warnings LWX puts out in cases like these. The wind core is likely to be pretty small - and having such a large warning doesn't allow them to localize a small portion of the warning to indicate higher winds. Suppose that core of winds cycles back up in a later scan - with a warning update you'd have to either warn the entire polygon for wind that only a tiny part will see...or keep the warning winds lower. Smaller warnings allow you to more precisely communicate potential.

• Like 1

Just now, GATECH said:

What’s that radar retur zooming in from the east?  Anti thunderstorm missiles?   

Some sort of interference. There has been a lot of talk about it during prior precip events going back a year or so (or more). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

That was really awesome. There is a ton of lightning in these storms. My son and I were filming but the rain was shielding most of the bolts. I know I got some! That was the best of the season so far out this way.

Yeah it was pretty solid for around here. Even had some pea sized hail. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, southmdwatcher said:

This region should have an additional radar out to the southwest somewhere near Charlottesville to alert us to incoming severe storms and the areas to our north in south central Pennsylvania need one as well, but I am sure the 3 letter agencies don't care if an F4/5 rolls through to protect their overhead airspace on their "secret" facilities from radar coverage.

We have 2 WSR and 3 terminal radars. We have excellent coverage here.

• Like 1