Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2021 Mid-Atlantic Severe Weather - General Discussion

Kmlwx

2 hours ago, 87storms said:

Severe tstorm watch was a wise decision. There’s something to be said about a stagnant airmass as a prelude to severe here.

Absolutely. No wind, well over 90, humid, and build up towering .  My friend in WV said  over 10 telephone poles just blown down  mostly snapped near the bottom 

5 hours ago, wxtrix said:

microburst?

NWUS51 KLWX 262021
LSRLWX

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
418 PM EDT WED MAY 26 2021

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0300 PM     TSTM WND DMG     1 WSW RANSON            39.29N  77.87W
05/26/2021                   JEFFERSON          WV   911 CALL CENTER

12 TELEPHONE POLES BLEW DOWN ON MIDDLEWAY PIKE JUST
            WEST OF CHARLES TOWN.

Would not the winds to blowdown a dozen poles have to be around 90?

1 hour ago, H2O said:

Love going to bed to the sound of thunder.  had 3 rounds.

I was surprised at the punch the first two rounds packed yesterday -- the 5 p.m. hour was somewhat impressive on radar on approach, but then seemed to reserve its worst for just south, Dale City/Woodbridge. But man, that 8 p.m. round....a direct hit and a solid light/sound show. That line looked a little more compact but stronger on radar. I usually take too many pics of wx, but (of course) was in the shower when Round 2 approached/came through last night, when so many great pics captured around the sub. Interesting day to track severe, for sure.

2 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

I was surprised at the punch the first two rounds packed yesterday -- the 5 p.m. hour was somewhat impressive on radar on approach, but then seemed to reserve its worst for just south, Dale City/Woodbridge. But man, that 8 p.m. round....a direct hit and a solid light/sound show. That line looked a little more compact but stronger on radar. I usually take too many pics of wx, but (of course) was in the shower when Round 2 approached/came through last night, when so many great pics captured around the sub. Interesting day to track severe, for sure.

Round 2 was def the best.  First line hit I-95 and died thanks to the Death Valley micro climate.  The 8pm one had that sweet dark clouds and pink horizon with tons of T&L.  Night storms with lots of flashes are drool worthy.  Little cell around 10 was a surprise.  I hope all the cicadas did well.  they were back at it this morning.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, H2O said:

Round 2 was def the best.  First line hit I-95 and died thanks to the Death Valley micro climate.  The 8pm one had that sweet dark clouds and pink horizon with tons of T&L.  Night storms with lots of flashes are drool worthy.  Little cell around 10 was a surprise.  I hope all the cicadas did well.  they were back at it this morning.

Same here. I was watching it with my drone right at dark. You could see the shelf cloud and dark curtains of rain with a dark orange backdrop. That was all highlighted by big bolts of cloud to ground lightning. They were some fun storms for sure. Really enjoyable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmlwx said:

Slight risk for tomorrow. 

Tomorrow has sneaky warm front potential for sure, as storms interacting with and just south of the front will be in an environment with very favorable hodographs.   The question is where the warm front sets up.     Right now, I'd definitely want to be south of DC (in line with the SLGT risk area), as I think it's going to be too stable at the surface for those of us north of town.

7 minutes ago, high risk said:

Tomorrow has sneaky warm front potential for sure, as storms interacting with and just south of the front will be in an environment with very favorable hodographs.   The question is where the warm front sets up.     Right now, I'd definitely want to be south of DC (in line with the SLGT risk area), as I think it's going to be too stable at the surface for those of us north of town.

Getting that May 3, 2021 vibe for the I-64 to I-66 corridor.

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

It was crazy! I would say that the shelf cloud developed as it moved over and approached me, at first it was sort of like a shelf cloud when I first say it looking down the street. Then when I could see the cloud my neighborhood as it broke the tree line 10 minutes it looked more impressive and then just went from there to a proper shelf cloud as it came closer. That combined with the crazy orange sky behind it with flashes of lightning as the sun set makes it one of favorite weather events in a while. The light show was incredible and the wind was pretty good but the main thing was the lightning I just kept going. I also picked up 1.2 inches of rain which was the main thing I wanted/needed from yesterday so overall great day.