Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
2021 Mid-Atlantic Severe Weather - General Discussion

Kmlwx

Just now, yoda said:

Would be nice to see/hear some good storms... interestingly no mention in the SPC 4-8 day OTLK of anything nearby or even in the LWX AFD this morning

It could just as easily be into June that we are waiting to see anything decent. 

15 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

CC: @mappy and @Ian

So, the Ranson tornado hit immediately north of your location, @wxtrix? I vaguely recall @Mrs.J talking about the issuance of tornado warning for her stretch that afternoon. Those storms lost some punch once they got to the metro area and south but I do remember the wx radio going off a bunch of times that day.

6 hours ago, yoda said:

Looks like Wednesday will be our first chance in a while to see some "severe" and have some storms... MRGL risk for some gusty to damaging winds

Nice for sure to be "back in the game".      Tomorrow certainly has some modest potential.     Deep layer shear is going to be close to the lower thresholds for severe - the question seems to be how much will the moisture mix out.    The NAM nest has been consistently keeping much higher low-level dew points, while the HRRR has been most aggressive with the mixing and lowers the dew points the most.      The NAM nest therefore has the most widespread convection, while the HRRR has the least.    The other CAMs are for the most part in the middle in terms of low-level moisture and in coverage of storms, so I think that a MRGL is ok for now, with potential to go to SLGT if the mixing of moisture ends up to be less of a factor.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

Ugh....daughter has a softball doubleheader at Westminster High at 4:00.  Looks like we would be very lucky to get game 1 in or even started.  

ha, meanwhile I am hoping it rains and my kid's baseball game is cancelled. I need an evening with no where to go :lol: 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

SPC seems to agree with the 2% - but shear is pretty weak sauce. Could be fun to see some quarter sized hail. 

Yeah, they extended the 2% down here because a couple of HREF members have some very, very modest UH tracks.    The afternoon storms probably have close to zero tornado potential, because as you noted, the shear is so weak.     A window for a brief tornado might exist in the early evening if there is a round 2:  the LLJ will strengthen a bit, and since it will have a westerly component, if the surface winds can back a bit near a leftover outflow boundary, a cell could briefly acquire rotation.     If SPC had a 1% TOR contour, that would work just as well.   B)

42 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Not a great start here...cloudy, even looks hazy/foggy.  HRRR doesnt seem too enthused but we'll see! Its certainly muggy

HRRR is still by far the most aggressive model in mixing out the low level moisture.    I'll be closely watching the dew points early this afternoon - if they fall into the upper 50s or lower 60s, I'll temper my expectations.    If they stay in the mid or upper 60s, the CAMs with stronger, more widespread storms are more likely to be right.

• Like 1