• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2021 Mid-Atlantic Severe Weather - General Discussion

Kmlwx

So, just got power back here, I had a 66 mph gust on the weather station and have 4 trees down on my property. Two missed the house by 10 feet and are laying in front yard. That was most impressive. Between 2:45- 2:50 pm. All were pulled over with big chunks of root balls, biggest tree brought a 10 foot by 10 foot slab of dirt with it. 

• Like 2

Just now, wxdude64 said:

So, just got power back here, I had a 66 mph gust on the weather station and have 4 trees down on my property. Two missed the house by 10 feet and are laying in front yard. That was most impressive. Between 2:45- 2:50 pm. 

Glad you’re ok!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

So, just got power back here, I had a 66 mph gust on the weather station and have 4 trees down on my property. Two missed the house by 10 feet and are laying in front yard. That was most impressive. Between 2:45- 2:50 pm. All well pulled over with big chunks of root balls, biggest tree brought a 10 foot by 10 foot slab of dirt with it. 

Glad you're okay. Might be worth emailing LWX for their warning verification: [email protected]

8 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Glad you're okay. Might be worth emailing LWX for their warning verification: [email protected]

Already sent to NWS Blacksburg

report (I found another tree down walking property after report)

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BLACKSBURG VA
306 PM EDT TUE MAY 4 2021

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0247 PM     TSTM WND GST     3 S HOLLINS             37.79N 79.92W
05/04/2021  E66 MPH          ALLEGHANY          VA   COCORAHS

ALSO 3 LARGE TREES DOWN AND POWER OUT.
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, H2O said:

From before the storm hit

You got a great angle on the edge of that gust front. I tried to capture the speed of it on video with "meh" results -- doubling the playback speed shows motion better. It was definitely hauling ass, and I could hear the increasing roar of the wind to the west, about five minutes before it slammed Hayfield.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

You finally identified a few posts back this specific owl species that's been stalking my backyard, @Stormfly....and then I finally caught one on camera last night just a few minutes after midnight! Video quality is meh (it's a Blink camera), but you can see it fly in at lower left, probably going after a frog or mouse on the patio. I was excited to capture this, as I've only ever seen them as swooping silhouettes in past years!

If you have enough lights to draw bugs it will draw toads.  We get plenty of fist sized toads around here.  Those can be annoying themselves (their "song" is a continuous cricket like sound).  The owls love 'em!

• Like 1