Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OBS and nowcast Monday Feb 15 - Noon Tuesday Feb 16 2021

wdrag

17 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

And here near KSWF

Lol... Yonkers is as indicative of HV weather as Van Courtland Park. Unlike down there, with dews in the high teens/low 20s and a continued light cold drain down the actual Hudson River Valley ice is going to be a real problem up here despite what the city folk believe. 

• Like 1

Remote check: I think moving the axis of greasiest ice impact west 30 miles will work very well. Haven’t checked any details but I95 east agoils be easily manageable but I think differently vicinity ABE-POU-BDL. Along or couple miles northwest of that axis is where ice accum branches and wires will be a problem tonight.  Treated roads wet. 

• Thanks 1

There is probably a ~30 mile shift to west of the problematic power outage 1/4" iso1/2" glaze axis from the early morn ing cycle.   12z HPC HREF here.  and the 12z HRRX. Both seem high on amounts due to runoff at marginal temps late tonight but its pretty certain there will be branch/powerline power line problems with treated surfaces possibly mainly wet ne PA/far nw NJ, interior se NYS nw CT, especially east-northeast slopes of the higher terrain.  Your judgement. For those east of I287 in NJ, probably little or no problem but I cant rule out problems in ne NJ to the Merritt Parkway. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 12.53.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 12.54.52 PM.png

• Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, wdrag said:

There is probably a ~30 mile shift to west of the problematic power outage 1/4" iso1/2" glaze axis from the early morn ing cycle.   12z HPC HREF here.  and the 12z HRRX. Both seem high on amounts due to runoff at marginal temps late tonight but its pretty certain there will be branch/powerline power line problems with treated surfaces possibly mainly wet ne PA/far nw NJ, interior se NYS nw CT, especially east-northeast slopes of the higher terrain.  Your judgement. For those east of I287 in NJ, probably little or no problem but I cant rule out problems in ne NJ to the Merritt Parkway. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 12.53.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 12.54.52 PM.png

Thanks.  Hoping Poughkeepsie area being valley can escape the worst icing 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

31/29/NNW2/Freezing Mist  

Right next to the house it's only a little bit sketchy but move 5 feet out and it's slick as snot. The snowpack has a wonderful crust on it now. Everything is cold so the mist is freezing on contact. YAY :whistle:

28/28 here with the cloud deck lowering. Occasional freezing mist. 

...ICE STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST TUESDAY...

* WHAT...Significant icing. Additional snow accumulations of up to
  two inches and ice accumulations of two tenths to one half of an
  inch.

* WHERE...In Pennsylvania, Lackawanna, Luzerne, Pike and
  Southern Wayne counties. In New York, Sullivan county.

* WHEN...Until 10 AM EST Tuesday.

* IMPACTS...Power outages and tree damage are likely due to the
  ice. Travel could be nearly impossible. The hazardous conditions
  could impact the Tuesday morning commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Ice accumulation in the valley locations
  will range from a tenth to a quarter of an inch...but locations
  above 1500 feet elevation are expected to see as much as one
  half of an inch.

BGM issued this just 20 minutes ago-

thankfully I’ll be low enough in elevation to avoid anything over .25”

• Like 1

NWS products around 3P.  Power outages increasing WVA.  18z RGEm looks a touch colder tonight while the NAM slightly milder. Split the difference. Will all depend on qpf prior to above freezing. lost all our pavement ice while i was away at 29F.  We'll see what happens after sunset. ZL- and 29F. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 4.21.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 4.24.05 PM.png

This morning my car was covered in ice and the temperature was 28 degrees.  By 1PM the temperature had risen to 30 and the ice had melted from my car and there was also melting snow/ice from my roof which has a western exposure.  The temperature is still 30 but  by car  is now covered in ice again.  Despite the  low cloud deck the mid-February sun was causing  some melting.  I think the roads will get icy soon.

In NWNJ Sussex  there was a failure on a main transmission line in  Vernon  (whatever that means) that lead to another failure further down the line.  Because of the snowpack and ice  it made it hard to  correct the problem. Mountain Creek Ski resort and most of Vernon was without power since late this morn ing.  I lost power around 5:40 but it was restored  around 20 minutes ago.  I don't think the power loss was related to the  current storm.  Happy to have my power back on.