Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 14-16 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

8 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

That was the old days with the nipher gauge.  They switched to a snow saber about 5 years or so and they've been fine since (Dare I say maybe even a bit generous with their measurements at times?).  I'm about 10 minutes from the airport and that report is not crazy. 

Funnily enough, after almost an hour spent shoveling, it doesn't feel like the storm was a bust. It looks and feels like deep winter out there.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, vortex said:

Nice.  Sounds bout the same here.  Hopefully Ricky (LOT) uses your measurement for an “official” total for Kankakee.  Going to be interesting, to say the least, to see what the other observers  totals are.  

Looks like by their map, they went with the lowballs. lol, figures. Regardless, safe to say 8-10" fell across the county.

After shoveling the driveway out tonight, from the city plowing it shut, I snapped a few photos around from the house.  

Feb 16, 2021 snow house copy.jpg

Feb 16, 2021 middle copy.jpg

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Looks like by their map, they went with the lowballs. lol, figures. Regardless, safe to say 8-10" fell across the county.

After shoveling the driveway out tonight, from the city plowing it shut, I snapped a few photos around from the house.  

Feb 16, 2021 snow house copy.jpg

Feb 16, 2021 middle copy.jpg

The worst.  I actually shoveled the street next to the curb to try to prevent this, but it doesn't look like anyone else did.  So if the plows come through on a final run, probably gonna get screwed.  

9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The worst.  I actually shoveled the street next to the curb to try to prevent this, but it doesn't look like anyone else did.  So if the plows come through on a final run, probably gonna get screwed.  

I tried that move too. Didn't work. But my parent's situation was even worse. I go over there this morning at 5:00 am to clear their walks and driveway. They live across the street from a church. Well their plowing company had already came and did the church grounds. But where did they deposit a rather large pile of snow? Halfway at the end of my parent's driveway. I mean WTF. I wasn't pleased. Took some work. Told my mom to call today and give them hell. :lol:

1974084402_Feb162021snowhousecopy.thumb.jpg.063f2d14906237c259e51f90401c23c9.jpg
1177932897_Feb162021middlecopy.thumb.jpg.7da0424d4acba374437d6646e04bf00e.jpg
I did call in your report once I saw it when I got home this morning, wish I had seen it earlier and got the LSR sent. Apologies it wasn't used for the map. And we only have one other snow report listed in the text listing for the county, so yours could've been added to that. Have you considered joining CoCoRaHS? Those almost always get incorporated into our post event reporting.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

I did call in your report once I saw it when I got home this morning, wish I had seen it earlier and got the LSR sent. Apologies it wasn't used for the map. And we only have one other snow report listed in the text listing for the county, so yours could've been added to that. Have you considered joining CoCoRaHS? Those almost always get incorporated into our post event reporting.

No problem RC. And yeah, I've thought about joining CoCoRAHS. May need to...to at least give this area some legit snowfall reports. :D

• Like 2

No problem RC. And yeah, I've thought about joining CoCoRAHS. May need to...to at least give this area some legit snowfall reports. 
Definitely, could always use more solid reports down there, and the best part about CoCoRaHS is there's no set reporting requirements like the COOPs. The Kankakee COOP seems to be so infrequent in their reporting now compared to how it was when I got here.

Toledo's 2 Storm Total hit 14.5" officially to make the 3rd biggest in history.  It's weird as it just didn't feel that way spread out of over 2 days with multiple breaks.  The wind made just enough drifting to cast doubt on such totals.  Anyways, never thought I'd see that in my lifetime.  

• Like 4

LOT has been dealing wth LES somewhere in their CWA for over 36 hours,..impressive for that side of the lake

edit: you can make out the mesolow on short wave IR over central LM

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE, IL  
1004 PM CST TUE FEB 16 2021  

UPDATE  

955 PM CST  

TWEAKS TO THE FORECAST HAVE BEEN CONTINUING TO MAINTAIN HIGHER  
LAKE EFFECT SNOW CHANCES INTO PORTER COUNTY, IN THROUGH EARLY  
OVERNIGHT, AS WELL AS EXTENDING CLOUDS OVER SOME PARTS OF   
NORTHEAST ILLINOIS LONGER AND BUMPING UP FORECAST LOWS THERE.  

WHILE LAKE EFFECT SNOW (FOR THIS EVENT) IS NEARING THE END, IT HAS   
FOR MOST OF THE EVENING HAD A CONCENTRATED AREA OF MODERATE SNOW   
SHOWERS INTO PORTER COUNTY. THIS HAS BEEN WELL ESTABLISHED ON LOW-  
LEVEL CONVERGENCE AND A PRESUMED MESO-LOW OVER THE SOUTHERN PART   
OF THE LAKE PER ANALYZED WIND STREAMLINES ON HIGH-RES GUIDANCE. AS  
HAS BEEN THE CASE, THE LAKE EFFECT PARAMETERS ARE NOT THROUGH THE  
ROOF (FOR INSTANCE EQUILIBRIUM LEVELS OF ONLY 6,000 FT), BUT   
BECAUSE OF THE VERY COLD LOW-LEVELS, THE DENDRITIC GROWTH ZONE IS   
OVERLAPPED BY THE STEEP LAPSE RATES AND CLOUD DEPTHS. WE SUSPECT   
SOME PARTS OF PORTER COUNTY HAVE RECEIVED AROUND TO A LITTLE OVER   
2 INCHES THIS EVENING BASED ON RADAR AND WEBCAM IMAGERY, AND COULD  
FINISH WITH SOME NIGHTTIME TOTALS OF 3-4 IN ISOLATED SPOTS OF   
NORTHERN PORTER. EVEN IF THAT WERE TO HAPPEN, FEEL THE NATURE OF   
THIS AFTER THE PROLONGED EVENT IS BEST HANDLED WITH G-NOWS, A   
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT, AND OTHER MESSAGING.  

3 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

easily the biggest reverse snow gradient i've observed since my reverse commute days started, the drop off in snow west of the edens out to cumberland is noticeable

had a lil mood dust at home from the mesolow still spinning out there

In the 6 years my brother has lived right around you, hes always asking me what did ORD get?  A huge majority of the time he seems to get less snow than them, has less snow than we have over here, and sends pics to prove how much less he has than the rest of the metro. This is definitely a first for him there, he's buried.