Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 14-16 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL
1115 AM CST TUE FEB 16 2021

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0700 AM     SNOW             WEST RIDGE - CHICAGO    42.00N 87.70W
02/16/2021  M18.6 INCH       COOK               IL   COCORAHS

TWO DAY TOTAL. COCORAHS STATION IL-CK-94
            LINCOLNWOOD 1.8 E.

1 hour ago, featherwx said:

IMG-4290.jpgWhat it looked like around 4am when I got up to use the bathroom. It's been fun watching that SUV slowly turn into a "snowmobile" over the last couple of weeks. 

I don't think there's a word in the English language to describe what I feel looking at this..."jealous" would be the closest approximation.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Crazy depths around Chicago. Depths gotten quite nice here in Southeast Michigan as well. East Side has the deepest snow right now. Snow depth in SE MI vary anywhere from 11 to 18". We had 15" here this morning, 14" at Detroit, 15" White Lake, 13" ann arbor, 16" bad axe, 17" Richmond.  As mentioned above the 17" snow depth in Toledo is their deepest since 1978. We however had deeper snow in 2014 & 2015.

• Like 1

Snow came down harder than I expected last night.  Difficult to measure though as the wind whipped not only the new snow but older layers as well.  Only measured about 5" new on average, but it's probably like 12:1 ratio since the wind did such a number on it.  That's on top of the 2" from the night before, so at least 7" total.  Definitely not fluff anymore though.  Drifts were hard to shovel.  Total depth on the ground is now around 17" IMBY, including the hard packed stuff at the bottom.  It's over 20" in some places though, both due drifting and old crust from January that didn't melt completely everywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Crazy depths around Chicago. Depths gotten quite nice here in Southeast Michigan as well. East Side has the deepest snow right now. Snow depth in SE MI vary anywhere from 11 to 18". We had 15" here this morning, 14" at Detroit, 15" White Lake, 13" ann arbor, 16" bad axe, 17" Richmond.  As mentioned above the 17" snow depth in Toledo is their deepest since 1978. We however had deeper snow in 2014 & 2015.

I am surprised the snow depth wasn't higher in 2014 in Toledo. We had 40 inches of snow and it was also the 7th coldest January on record.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Snohio said:

I am surprised the snow depth wasn't higher in 2014 in Toledo. We had 40 inches of snow and it was also the 7th coldest January on record.

I'm surprised too. peak depth at Detroit was 16" in Jan, 20" Feb, 16" March. Toledo only peaked at 13" in Jan and 12" in Feb. The only thing I can think of is with the insane constant drifting of snow, open areas (ie nw ohio) may have had lower level depths with higher drifts? Toledo peaked at 15" in Feb 2015.

Epic snow depth here now, which I haven’t experienced since living in Madison in ‘07-‘08. No way of knowing exactly how much we got, but there are drifts of 3-4’ in the backyard and piles 5-6’ high along the street. Roads are still pretty meh in the city, 290 was even still partially snow-covered on the drive home this afternoon. 

Safe to say the perennials are well-protected this year. 
AF4D7BD4-17B3-42FE-96E3-C02C93E98EF5.thumb.jpeg.2247cae8ade53000bad4b2bfba085a66.jpeg

• Like 8