Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 14-16 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

1 hour ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Bust. Calling it about 5" but with the drifting it's impossible to tell.  Snow shut off around 4am so we had no chance at anything significant with only 7 hours of accumulations.  Definitely a 15:1+ ratio snow though, very airy.  

Very disappointing, especially when you consider all the hype.

13 minutes ago, 500 mbvort said:

Definitely doesn’t seem like we’ve had that much the last few years probably because it’s been so mild we haven’t been able to sustain a snowpack. Thought for sure we’d be a lock for 6-8” based on what I was hearing upstream from the Midwest posters. Damn flake size lol.

About to head out and shovel. My eyeball guess is about 6-7" fell. 

This event though should bring most of the GTA to 6-8" snow cover and Im holding out hope that Thursday night can at least bring another 2-4". 

edit: Plus if you like snow cover like me, that 1-2" base in the GTA and the 5" base at my house was turning into a glacier and is now covered. 

11 minutes ago, 500 mbvort said:

Definitely doesn’t seem like we’ve had that much the last few years probably because it’s been so mild we haven’t been able to sustain a snowpack. Thought for sure we’d be a lock for 6-8” based on what I was hearing upstream from the Midwest posters. Damn flake size lol.

Flake size sucked initially but I went outside around 4am it was pouring snow globe dendrites.  Had that persisted through 12z like the models had indicated we would have easily got up to 8 or 9". 

2 minutes ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

Very disappointing, especially when you consider all the hype.

Funny, the bashers on Twitter who love to pile on when there's a bust are silent.  Most people there seem to be under the impression the storm verified because of all the snow from their rooftops that blew onto their driveways. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, 500 mbvort said:

Usually how it goes around here. That’s why yyz struggles to get 12” big dogs consistently heck even 8” seem tough to come by.

We did have a big dog in late January 2019. but, yes, it's rare.

Those accumulation maps posted yesterday would have nailed it...if they were in centimetres. not inches!

2 hours ago, Chicago WX said:

Missed my midnight measurement...:sleepy: :D, but woke up at 4 to start shoveling. Measured 4.3" additional...so a storm total of 9.7". Good stuff.

Nice.  Sounds bout the same here.  Hopefully Ricky (LOT) uses your measurement for an “official” total for Kankakee.  Going to be interesting, to say the least, to see what the other observers  totals are.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

We did have a big dog in late January 2019. but, yes, it's rare.

Those accumulation maps posted yesterday would have nailed it...if they were in centimetres. not inches!

But Jan 2019 was a localized big dog. Region wide it’s been awhile. Maybe feb 2015?

55 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Funny, the bashers on Twitter who love to pile on when there's a bust are silent.  Most people there seem to be under the impression the storm verified because of all the snow from their rooftops that blew onto their driveways. :lol:

:lol: Yeah, this storm really underperformed. Only 11cm at YYZ. Another one to add to our list. 

The November storm still reigns as our biggest storm this winter. :lmao:

13 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

:lol: Yeah, this storm really underperformed. Only 11cm at YYZ. Another one to add to our list. 

The November storm still reigns as our biggest storm this winter. :lmao:

Meh wouldn’t trust the YYZ report as they always underestimate. Looks loke

more snow rolling in that can maybe push totals to 6”?

• Like 1

LES still decent and over SE WI with lake county IL getting light snow Waukegan now at 3/4 mile Vis

Racine had SN+ at 14z and both Racine and MKE have 1/2 mile vis with SN at 15z

HRRR seems slightly too far east with the band...RAP better and brings 1-3 more for eastern Cook county later

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI  
850 AM CST TUE FEB 16 2021  

.TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON  

.DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

0849 AM     SNOW             1 WNW WIND POINT        42.79N 87.79W  
02/16/2021  M14.8 INCH       RACINE             WI   PUBLIC 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Haven't had a storm this drifty in awhile. Interesting that some of the windiest observations came right here in Southeast Michigan, seems odd so far from the low track. Some sweet drifts out there but makes it hard to measure. Going with 8.3" for the main wave and then when you add the 2" from yesterday morning it would be 10.3" over the past 30 hours. Avg snow depth 14".  I would say the models did well with the storm here but as always we saw the cold temperatures and assumed higher ratios than it would be.  This event was pure powder, some of the drifts are even packed, until the very end when we are adding a little fluff on top. Can't wait to go out and play. 

Is that including all the snow this morning?