February 14-16 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

1 hour ago, janetjanet998 said:

ORD just NW of band which had drifted a couple miles south recently

1200 PM     SNOW             OHARE AIRPORT           41.98N 87.90W  
02/15/2021  M1.6 INCH        COOK               IL   OFFICIAL NWS OBS   

SNOW TOTAL AS OF 12 PM.   

1200 PM SNOW 3 SW MIDWAY AIRPORT 41.75N 87.79W   02/15/2021

M2.4 INCH COOK IL OFFICIAL NWS OBS     SNOW TOTAL AS OF 12 PM.

Go ahead and add an * to that ORD.

Already likely too low.

It's nerve-wracking being right on the northern edge of this thing.  Sharp cutoff somewhere between MKG and GRR.  Already got 2" of new powder from light snows last night.  I'll be happy if this next batch can drop a quick 6 inches.  Depends on how fluffy it is.  DGZ is plenty deep if a nice back-edge band sets up as the system wraps up tonight.

1 minute ago, frostfern said:

It's nerve-wracking being right on the northern edge of this thing.  Sharp cutoff somewhere between MKG and GRR.  Already got 2" of new powder from light snows last night.  I'll be happy if this next batch can drop a quick 6 inches.  Depends on how fluffy it is.  DGZ is plenty deep if a nice back-edge band sets up as the system wraps up tonight.

It's also nerve-wracking to be on the eastern edge of this thing. The further west it goes, the less optimistic I'm getting.

3 minutes ago, frostfern said:

If it makes you feel any better, you've already got 2" more than I've got. 

18 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

I'll take the under...it'll be close though.

crazy that the under could still also be 20cm tonight followed by 15cm Thursday night haha. 

Whats the snow depths like in the GTA? I asked my parents for the Mississauga measurement and they said maybe 1-2" I doubted that a bit but NOAA snow maps support that with trace to 2" for the southern GTA. Around my backyard I average around 5" depth here. 

2:45pm Indianapolis: 14f, snow, 17mph N 

the drifting is going to be quite an issue tonight. Local mets are starting to use the blizzard word. Don’t know if it’ll technically be that bad, but it’s pretty ferocious out there currently and the heavy stuff is still to our SW. 

2 minutes ago, frostfern said:

It's like spring-summer frustration with the t-storms.  Missing the bullseye by 10 miles and getting a nothingburger doesn't usually happen in the winter.

While I'll admit I'm aggravated by missing thunderstorms in the summer, especially if we need the rain, i'd rather miss a thunderstorm any day of the week. 

5 minutes ago, McHenrySnow said:

While I'll admit I'm aggravated by missing thunderstorms in the summer, especially if we need the rain, i'd rather miss a thunderstorm any day of the week. 

It's pretty common here IMBY to miss both t-storms and major lake-effect events by 40 miles or less... over and over again.  Often close to the action, but have to chase to actually get to it.