• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 18th ?19th?

Typhoon Tip

So when those few of you that stay up all night to look at models.. you’re actually sitting up at a desk or couch posting models and posts on a PC and not at least tucked in under the covers on your phone? I had no idea . That just seems crazy to me. When I get up at the normal waking hour of 4:15 to run and view posts.. people that had been posting in the prior 2 hours are on computers? No wonder all you get in trouble with wives . It’s 2021.. you can do everything from a phone 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

So when those few of you that stay up all night to look at models.. you’re actually sitting up at a desk or couch posting models and posts on a PC and not at least tucked in under the covers on your phone? I had no idea . That just seems crazy to me. When I get up at the normal waking hour of 4:15 to run and view posts.. people that had been posting in the prior 2 hours are on computers? No wonder all you get in trouble with wives . It’s 2021.. you can do everything from a phone 

I don't go to bed to until 1:00 am, get up at 8, 7 hours a night is all I need. And I'm not running unless someone is chasing me with a knife.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, dryslot said:

On a PC all day and all night, Better for comparing models,  Very seldom post on the phone, If not, On my laptop or i'll use my ipad.

I usually dictate my posts to my private secretary and she posts them for me to this Internet website, but sometimes I type them up on my typewriter and and fax them over to the board moderator and he uploads them to the world wide web for me. That's a bit trickier but works in a pinch!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Let’s be honest, I get up at that time a few days a week to do the weather/ops report, but it’s not a normal waking hour.

This does explain a lot though about why you don’t get too deep into model data.  Just read what other laptop users find.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I usually dictate my posts to my private secretary and she posts them for me to this Internet website, but sometimes I type them up on my typewriter and and fax them over to the board moderator and he uploads them to the world wide web for me. That's a bit trickier but works in a pinch!

That's how Churchill posted on weather forums back in the day too.

• Like 1

I’m glad I held off on taking em down, the high end of my forecast is going to bust but it looks like the low end is still in play (widespread foot with 16 jackpots) based on the obs of the low being both stronger and farther west than expected. It appears that the models underestimated the convection down south, the low is tapping into even more gulf moisture than expected and as a result is bombing out more than expected, and is coming more north and west than expected. The stronger low throwing precip back farther west, which on top of the low itself being more north and west than expected is leading to precip getting into areas like WV that we’re not forecast to be getting anything at this hour. The models right now have the 2nd low scraping the cape, but when taking obs into account it is appearing more likely that the 2nd low is going to undergo bombogenesis and bring heavy snow as far west as the berkshires. I’m starting to think the mistake I made was losing confidence in my forecast just because of one bad set of runs. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Let’s be honest, I get up at that time a few days a week to do the weather/ops report, but it’s not a normal waking hour.

This does explain a lot though about why you don’t get too deep into model data.  Just read what other laptop users find.

Unless you’ve got like an iPhone 4s(which I know for certain there’s a few here that still do) theres zero reason to be posting from a computer . You can see all model data on your phone on Pivotal , tidbits etc. 

52 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I know there was discussion of upper air winds today and there destruction shear of storms. However sometimes they can provide venting . I knew I had seen this setup before.  2 12 94. Just showing there is a high side if we can get a north trend

Nice find. Resemblance at H5 and surface too

Feb121994_analog.thumb.png.4e26e7733bdf6e0572d9a03cc9d9889b.png

17 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Give me two big monitors, keyboard, mouse, comfy chair any day or night.  My wife doesn't give two shits...wait until you're 61!

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

Give me two big monitors, keyboard, mouse, comfy chair any day or night.  My wife doesn't give two shits...wait until you're 61!

There's definitely a curve. Once you're past a certain point in a marriage, spouses relish space. It's good to have separate hobbies.

As for this threat, it's interesting that a lot of model runs have featured a little finger of moderate QPF reaching up into southern ME. Of course, I'm now up in Bethel so at best I'll see an inch or two of fluff - but I'll take what I can get. I'm just glad my ski getaway didn't coincide with a torch or atmospheric river.

Damn what did i start...seems to be pretty split between PC vs. Phone people. Theres lots of reasons to be on PC...big ass screens keyboard and mouse are 1. Everyone likes their own thing i guess. Im just as shocked as kevin that people use phones and not computers when looking at models. I do it in a pinch when im out but only cuz i have to. When im on here at 4AM posting. Its PC 99% of the time.

Can we start an obs thread

RAD_MOS_NAT_8KM_L2NCR2_ANI (1).gif

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I think it is the endless tracking that becomes tiring by end of Feb. It’s a lot of work. I welcome the spring and summer, love it, but not the high dews. 

Maybe. It all gets tiresome. Probably why I’m aggravated by a 36hr event dropping 3-6”. We’ve been slammed at work too, so it all combines.

• Like 1