Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 18th ?19th?

Typhoon Tip

58 minutes ago, DomNH said:

The negativity regarding this winter as a whole is kind of surprising to me. We've gotten a couple double digit snows and several refreshers, and it feels like it hasn't gone above 40 since November outside of the grinch storm. Pretty wintry winter IMO. 

I think some portion of that, both at the individual and group psycho-babbledy level, has to do with "drama-conditioning"  ... similar to Will's "spoiled rotten..." observation a while ago. 

It's  a conditioning with two constraints: The first is intra seasonal persuasion ... like, getting these snow bombs on December 15 ( ~) both years, ...sets up the "fair objective perspective of J.Q. Public"  for keeping it real the rest of the way never

The 2nd is a bigger problem with western industrial societies. You know.. ( seein' as you asked have nothing better to do ...lol ) it reminds me of that episode in "Star Trek: The Next Generation," called "The Game."  

Basically... ( man, that show's sci fi writers really did nail this! ), the plot featured an invasive gaming device that delivered a ultra-powerful addictive pulse of euphoria, through the eyes, of whomever donned a gaming device. It pulsed some neuro- sensitive signal into the eyes...that immediate lit the brain up into an ecstatic "braingasming state" that was an order of magnitude more addictive than heroine, and also ...left the person almost infinitely obsequious to absurd suggestion if it meant getting back to the next pulse... etc...etc..  the latter being the intent of the aliens.

This culture of ours...it's a soft, yet eerily smacks as similar with this "pandemic" of e-psychotropic addiction - it's a real thing folks.  Weather charts?  Same ... yup. It's just a smaller part and parcel of an overall techno glitter cinema at our constant stimulation desire and disposal... We can't seem to turn away for more than mere minutes, where whence real nature moves at us far more quiescent and less 'triggering' ... and that's the trap.  

It really more than just seems everything we do as a species, in this general 'sociotechnological framework' of modernity ...is caught up in an illusory bubble ...where we think of reality as necessarily matching that steady diet of stimulation.

Look out the window ( not you per se - I mean as allegory here ...)... That sun serenity ?  That is how fast nature is coming to get you.  It's not what we think of,  after we've spent an hour brain-soaking, having been submerged in thumb-swipes and mouse click drama crack... bringing the entire world before our eyes, by people that gaslight and an audience willing to be manipulated because once in, the ennui outside the bubble is too miserable.  It's like any addiction process - you can escape because the alternative circuitry has been fried by too much, and no longer turns on the joy.  Your reality becomes a decision between heaven, and returning to hell -

This is all new territory in human history ... It's why I've coined the notion that we are living in the greatest sociological experiment and [probably] evolutionary step since we crawled out of primordial competition as fire controlling iron smelters.  It's a fascinating anthropological digression that is equally so, not appropriate for this thread and ... general circuitry of social media, no - Lol. 

Anyway, we in here suffer the same conditioning ... but we're getting it from two sources.  Our lives outside this hobby/engagement/obsession ( whichever...), is bathed as such, but then we take that same membership of civility, and process that attention span through a mid December lust satisfying snow event ... 

What part of all that is gonna psycho-babble end too well?    Particularly when/ if the rest of the year delivers pedestrian normalcy, and the dreaded fear that nature isn't really the same as the virtual reality bath described above.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

gfs looks good for fri, esp ema whiners.

I get it, some are ready for spring....after yesterday's 52 with sun, I am ready for it. But lets be realistic, spring isn't coming in February this year, so lets enjoy seeing snow fall. Even 2-4 inches would be nice to cover the mangled glacier. We have a shot at 6+ here, looks great!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

GYX has us with an inch.  And I thought its 1-3 yesterday was bad.  Odd 90%/most likely/10% numbers for Farmington - 0/1/8.  I guess that's a 10% chance of  big jump north.

Similar here. I've been puzzled by those 10% numbers all season. They've often seemed implausible based on synoptics.

Just now, Spanks45 said:

I get it, some are ready for spring....after yesterday's 52 with sun, I am ready for it. But lets be realistic, spring isn't coming in February this year, so lets enjoy seeing snow fall. Even 2-4 inches would be nice to cover the mangled glacier. We have a shot at 6+ here, looks great!

We have 6 weeks left but some act like it’s March 16th instead. I take the weather as it comes but we are still firmly entrenched in winter...no reason to rush the seasons psychologically. 

I’m going with 3-6” for us with a good shot at 6+...build up the pack. 

• Like 1

Idk what eastern mass posters are whining about, we got a foot or close to it Superbowl Sunday and another major storm coming Friday. Yeah we kinda got screwed in the Feb 1-2 storm but this winter has been way better than the last 2 and way better than the majority of forecasts called for. Things looked really bad in November with the polar vortex parked over the North Pole and mild pacific air flooding the country. If you told me we would get the winter we got in early November with how things looked I wouldn’t have believed it for a second, I would have thought you were wishcasting. This winter has already overperformed in regards to seasonal expectations so I’m happy with it.

• Weenie 1