• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 18th ?19th?

Typhoon Tip

This storm has an upside potential ... not presently really seen in QPF distribution...

As is, there's a narrow band between the 500 mb and the 300 mb jet fields that is trying to open up from NW VA to western MA ... 12z Friday.  It's possible that gap widens a bit between those features - though probably not hugely so... Anyway, that band could nest a pretty strong CSI type band ...because the 500mb, 120 kt jet max is displaced E of the 300 mb ... which is cruising along at close to 200kt! 

There's likely to be a slot of enhanced lift along that region ... mid level fun and games.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Yeah I’m keeping my eye on it. This one seems to be trending in a good way for once. We’ll see.

#NovaScotiaStrong

Yea, I think you get nailed in that one....take a look at my blog. Its redeveloping as it passes by SNE.

First Call:

https://easternmassweather.blogspot.com/2021/02/significant-snows-likely-thursday-night.html

first call.png

• Like 4

One thing I learned is the snow maps are often wrong. If it’s cold enough the snow will be fluffier and we will get more snow than the maps are saying, where in more marginal setups where it’s warmer then it will be a heavy wet snow with less snow than the maps are saying. This storm appears to fall into the former camp, with temps dropping to the 20s during the storm. If the models have 6-80 inches of snow with temps in the 20s, I would double that and make a forecast. I’m going to stick to my earlier forecast with 12-15 in the Boston area and more to the NW.

Just now, Whineminster said:

typically these things that snow for days and days don't lead to big totals 

Yeah most of my long duration events like Feb 7-9, 2015 or March 4-6, 2001 or Dec 1-3, 2019 or Feb 8-11, 1994 or Jan 2-4, 1996 are paltry totals. 

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Just now, George001 said:

One thing I learned is the snow maps are often wrong. If it’s cold enough the snow will be fluffier and we will get more snow than the maps are saying, where in more marginal setups where it’s warmer then it will be a heavy wet snow with less snow than the maps are saying. This storm appears to fall into the former camp, with temps dropping to the 20s during the storm. 

Unless the snowflakes develop at the altitude of your mailbox, which they do not, then surface temps are not one of the larger determinants of ratio. Look at the temp, relative humidity and lift in the layer of the atmosphere where they develop....like 600-800mb.

• Like 1

Just now, George001 said:

One thing I learned is the snow maps are often wrong. If it’s cold enough the snow will be fluffier and we will get more snow than the maps are saying, where in more marginal setups where it’s warmer then it will be a heavy wet snow with less snow than the maps are saying. This storm appears to fall into the former camp, with temps dropping to the 20s during the storm. 

They're always wrong.  They're called clown maps for a reason.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah most of my long duration events like Feb 7-9, 2015 or March 4-6, 2001 or Dec 1-3, 2019 or Feb 8-11, 1994 or Jan 2-4, 1996 are paltry totals. 

I think "long duration event" has a different connotation with various people. The vast majority of long duration events at 6-12 hours of heavy snow, and the rest nuisance crap...like this one should be. The heavy hitters are more like 12-18 hours of heavy snow, but you would need faster redevelopment of the mid levels for that....not impossible, but dubious here.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Lol, it was the only model trying to stay cold with this past storm.  Hopefully wrong this time too. 

The UKIE has that same bizarre evolution the Euro has with the late arrival of the snow...its likely both are sort of killing the WAA and transferring energy to the new coastal..its only explanation I have why they both dont have precip til like 00Z or later and all other models are 12 hours earlier