• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Back to Back Major Synoptic Snowstorms!

5 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

This is the one that’s coming for our snow pack. Temps 40’s-50’s. Hey, just before my last ski trip! Perfect. Lol. Maybe this winter goes from D-F. Still time. 

Places to our north and west (Southern Ontario) and South (Pennsylvania) would say this has probably been an A or B winter. But the zone from Rochester to Syracuse to Northern New England/Maine has had such a failure of a winter. It's definitely been a consistent run this winter.

Just now, TugHillMatt said:

Places to our north and west (Southern Ontario) and South (Pennsylvania) would say this has probably been an A or B winter. But the zone from Rochester to Syracuse to Northern New England/Maine has had such a failure of a winter. It'd definitely been a consistent run this winter.

Vermont and NH are above normal too. It's really just Buffalo/Roc/SYR and eastern Maine. I think Northern Michigan is well below normal too?@josh_4184

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Places to our north and west (Southern Ontario) and South (Pennsylvania) would say this has probably been an A or B winter. But the zone from Rochester to Syracuse to Northern New England/Maine has had such a failure of a winter. It's definitely been a consistent run this winter.

As I was snowblowing yesterday I was thinking how I would grade this winter. I came to the conclusion that this has pretty much been an average winter. I might end up below average for snowfall but I’m at 70 inches right now. I’ve had 7 straight weeks of snow cover. February has averaged below normal in temperatures and there hasn’t been a torch in a couple of months. I think we tend to grade based on expectations and we have had a few letdowns this winter. But overall I would grade this winter C+/B-  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

image.png.68147446bd534cd81d7f3061a1f168b6.png

Sums it up. Check out the minima right over WNY. 
I don’t really care much about duration and snow pack. Give me one or two big synoptic storms and I’ll be happy. If you measure this year by synoptic storms it would be a big fat red F. Expectations play a part and we’ve had a number of storms fall apart at the very last minute which definitely makes it difficult. 
If I had a single synoptic event like Binghamton had and not another flake, I’d call it an A- winter. 
Being nickeled and dimes to a long lasting crust of 5” doesn’t do it for me. But, hey, we all different. Glad that is decent for some of you. Delta could be happy if we had 3 high wind events. Lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

You nailed it. 

Id give this winter an A. 

In my back yard 3 snowstorms over 6" with the biggest being 8" 

Mid November snowstorm that dropped 8" in Toronto and 4" here before turning to rain for a few hours. (so off to a quick start and helps get the winter/christmas spirit going) 

Thread the needle storm where I got 6.5" but Buffalo got mostly rain 

Christmas Eve snowstorm GTA wide that dropped 4-8" and a white christmas 

February 15-16th that dropped 5-9" across most of the GTA and Niagara 

And I'm on day 23 of snow cover and looks to be a lock to go an entire winter month with more than 1" on the ground. Should probably make it somewhat deep into March as im at 13" on the ground currently. 

I actually start grading winters worse for April snow haha. Its pointless slop that melts by 10am and just annoys nearly everyone aside from the hardcore weenies haha 

• Like 3