• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Back to Back Major Synoptic Snowstorms!

Yep. Miss to the north. Miss to the south. Miss to the north. Miss to the south. Throw some weak lake effect snow in there. Same pattern. Another week.

I keep hoping maybe this one will work out for us and move north at the last minute...but I remember hoping the same for the other ones that missed us to the south! ha!

• Haha 1

Lesson learned. Never trust the models when they advertise an EPIC week 7 days in advance. This winter remains a D in my book. I care about synoptic storms and not so much duration of snow cover. And I think it’s just about over. 
March doesn’t seem to want to deliver but ya never know. Short range, long range, medium range- none of them has been good. 
At least it’s pretty out. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Pattern starts to break down after this weekend. Back to ups and downs and away from consistent cold. I welcome it, was far too cold this morning. 

Yeah, if it's not gonna snow theres no need for zero degree weather. Sure it would help to hold onto the pack but I want falling snow.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Back to hoping Lake Ontario provides something meaningful instead.... :lmao:

Otherwise, good riddance to a synoptic crapfest of a winter.

Yes! Doesn’t get much worse. Hopefully this will be the last in a cycle. I’m still trying to get a place in the Adirondacks so I can get my fix. Property is in short supply up there. 
Too many disappointments on the south shore to even count. 
Check please

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looks almost like a little clipper pattern (at least temporarily) for next week on the GFS. Obviously not the Arctic cold that comes along with the good ones. Or, t could just be a North Pacific wave train.

If you want deep snowpack lake effect at this time of the year doesn't do it. The February sun torches it. The several inches on my car is rapidly disappearing. lol

19 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Yeah synoptic systems have destroyed this year lol

Lake effect wise it hasn't been terrible..

16", 13", 10", and 8" events with a bunch of minor ones as well..

Biggest synoptic snowfall this year is like 4.5" lol

Same here. I think largest synoptic event was Dec 25th almost 7" of concrete before the lake effect event. That was still my best stretch 30" in 2 days. 

• Like 1

I'm still thinking my backyard can scratch and claw to 90" over the next 6 weeks. That would take about 24" of snow.  Granted, it'll likely take the slow boat 2" at a time.   I thought the same last winter though and even with "bountiful" May snow we still came up a few inches short of 90.  Definately a D grade for winter here IMBY at thIs point. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I care about synoptic storms and not so much duration of snow cover. 

It's funny how weather is important for different reasons for different people. I would love a good synoptic storm for sure. But I care about a healthy snow pack that sticks around for weeks. I would rather get a a foot and then just keep adding vs 2 feet at once then nothing for weeks.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Pattern starts to break down after this weekend. Back to ups and downs and away from consistent cold. I welcome it, was far too cold this morning. 

Lol for once I actually think we’re lucking out...pics in Texas of frozen fish tanks!!! In houses!!! Also burst water pipes and kitchen sinks looking like glaciers...they’re saying the damages that will be found and tallied will exceed the fist of Harvey...damn

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Lol for once I actually think we’re lucking out...pics in Texas of frozen fish tanks!!! In houses!!! Also burst water pipes and kitchen sinks looking like glaciers...they’re saying the damages that will be found and tallied will exceed the fist of Harvey...damn

Texas is soft. Lol

• Haha 3

BGM recorded 1.7 over the past 2 days. Season total now 84.5 which surpasses the annual avg of 83.

However, barring another March blockbuster like 2017, this week of disappointment has probably all but shut the door on any chance of making a run toward a Top 5 (=>117.6) or possibly even Top 10 (=>108.6) snowiest winter.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Yes! Doesn’t get much worse. Hopefully this will be the last in a cycle. I’m still trying to get a place in the Adirondacks so I can get my fix. Property is in short supply up there. 
Too many disappointments on the south shore to even count. 
Check please

We have been looking in the near southern tier (Chautauqua and Cattaraugus) for a place with lake frontage, but we haven't seen what we want, and we're not in a hurry, so we can keep looking until we find it. Chautauqua Lake would be ideal, but a single family lakefront house is way out of our price range. The little glacial lakes in northern Chautauqua would be almost perfect - 1300 feet of elevation, good year-round fishing, and situated in the part of the Chautauqua Ridge that jackpots anytime there's a little cold air and a breeze from the west. Bear Lake is at the same elevation only 10 miles SW as that coop observer in Perrysburg who reports at least 200" every winter. I could be happy living in the relative snow desert of the northtowns if I could get all the snow I wanted by driving a little over an hour from home.

• Like 3

I'm surprised more of you snow weenies don't do more winter activities. Almost every weekend you'll catch me downhill boarding/skiing, cross country skiing, hiking, playing ice hockey or snowmobiling. That's how I get my fill of winter. Staying at home doesn't cut it for me. I play ice hockey every Saturday, usually go to holiday once a night during the week and try to get out and hike/cross country at local areas once a week. 

7 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'm surprised more of you snow weenies don't do more winter activities. Almost every weekend you'll catch me downhill boarding/skiing, cross country skiing, hiking, playing ice hockey or snowmobiling. That's how I get my fill of winter. Staying at home doesn't cut it for me. I play ice hockey every Saturday, usually go to holiday once a night during the week and try to get out and hike/cross country at local areas once a week. 

I mean if you and the Mrs want to watch our 3 kids...

• Haha 1