• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Back to Back Major Synoptic Snowstorms!

22 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Not sure what's going on...it's been a rough couple winters around these parts compared to average.

You guys have been having a great winter down there! It's about time! I lived in DuBois for several years and their winters have definitely tamed as well.

Yeah we've been lucky this season with numerous overperformers. Including the storms in December. Only thing we are missing is a big daddy. Haven't seen anything over a foot since 2010. We are just not in a great spot for big snowfalls. 

Just now, Rd9108 said:

Yeah we've been lucky this season with numerous overperformers. Including the storms in December. Only thing we are missing is a big daddy. Haven't seen anything over a foot since 2010. We are just not in a great spot for big snowfalls. 

I had family that lived in "Picksburgh' and they said it rarely snowed there...it was often ice. Cloudy and ice in the winter. Scary for driving with all those hills. We visited them often in their home in Moon Township. LOTS of great sledding hills!

20 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Oh, yeah! It was a chore cleaning the roughly 4.5 inches of packed, dense snow off my car. The top 1/4" was a crust of snow/sleet/graupel/freezing drizzle/sugar.

I spent an hour snowblowing this cement and making sorta straight lines. And you are saying it was "a chore" to clean your car off.  Its no wonder we can't get a proper snowstorm in here. ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

I think this will be a classic whipsaw for weenie world.  I see it in stock trading all the time. Now that we are all burned we will discount the next storm and it will overachieve.

2 hours ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Could just be me being a Debbie after getting burned with this event but I’m not feeling the next one at all. Seems like a SE NY/ SNE special. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

KBGM Afternoon AFD update snippet:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
1230 PM Update...
The approaching cold front was located east of Syracuse, Cortland, and Ithaca, and just west of Rome, Binghamton, and Towanda as of midday. A few snow showers were beginning to
develop along the front, and are likely to increase in coverage as it pushes to the east over the next few hours. High temperatures will likely be set in the next 1 to 3 hours, with temperatures expected to drop back below freezing behind the front. Most near term changes are with hourly temperatures and wind shift associated with the cold front, and increasing PoPs this afternoon. Any snowfall through sunset will be light, but some isolated heavier showers could drop just under an inch of snow in places.

This evening`s lake effect snow band still looks like a good bet along and north of the Thruway, including around SYR. Max snowfall
of 3 to 5 may be possible by morning over northern Onondaga, northwestern Madison, and western Oneida counties.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

h500 does not look great imo to get this further NW, att.

So let me get this right...yesterday we had one of the strongest HP systems over the upper Great Lakes in recent history and the LP STILL found its way north, then a system going against a much weaker HP can’t make it further NW? I mean it makes sense to me...

The storm that missed us last night/today was far more developed in the deep south and tracked West of the Appalachians.  The next storm is slower to evolve and pops the low East of the Appalachians.  I think that makes a big difference in the downstream track.   We need that App runner that somehow straddles the apps all the way up the coast. 

• Like 1

Not the time just yet, as I will enjoy the deep winter landscape but March is quickly approaching. When do you guys expect the snow cover to melt away (not piles haha) 

Around here there's normally 1-2 days a spring where you get the perfect spring and winter day combined haha. 55F sunny skies hiking thru the forest with the t-shirt and snow boots because there's still 6"+ everywhere 

1 minute ago, DeltaT13 said:

The storm that missed us last night/today was far more developed in the deep south and tracked West of the Appalachians.  The next storm is slower to evolve and pops the low East of the Appalachians.  I think that makes a big difference in the downstream track.   We need that App runner that somehow straddles the apps all the way up the coast. 

Think WNY and GTA can at least squeeze a few inches of snow out of it? Some of the lake enhanced areas around western GTA look to get a bit of a boost. 

Just now, mississaugasnow said:

Not the time just yet, as I will enjoy the deep winter landscape but March is quickly approaching. When do you guys expect the snow cover to melt away (not piles haha) 

Around here there's normally 1-2 days a spring where you get the perfect spring and winter day combined haha. 55F sunny skies hiking thru the forest with the t-shirt and snow boots because there's still 6"+ everywhere 

I don't see any major warmups through the end of the month so I think we can take this snowpack into the first week of March.  

• Like 2

Just now, DeltaT13 said:

I don't see any major warmups through the end of the month so I think we can take this snowpack into the first week of March.  

Agree. In a winter with decent snowpack (which is where we are at today), we usually reach max snow pile depth along my driveway (and yard)  in early March.  After mid month it starts the melt.  Sun angle takes its toll even if we don't exactly torch.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Agree. In a winter with decent snowpack (which is where we are at today), we usually reach max snow pile depth along my driveway (and yard)  in early March.  After mid month it starts the melt.  Sun angle takes its toll even if we don't exactly torch.

I've had at least an inch of snow since that Dec 25th/26th storm/LES event. That's rare here closer to the lake. 

• Like 3

Snippet from Chicago AFD:

Wednesday PM through Monday...

In this remarkable stretch, with Chicago having seen measurable snow on 12 of the 16 days of February including today and going back to January 25th, 16 of the past 23 days with measurable snow, snow has found little excuse to occur. This again is looking to be the case on Wednesday afternoon into Wednesday evening, with a sheared short-wave, upper jet support and isentropic ascent contributing to a round of light snow with accumulations under 1".
  • Like 1