• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Back to Back Major Synoptic Snowstorms!

6 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I'll bet many would have.  And I-m talking Mets that practiced in the 60s-90s mainly.  It was interesting reading back before your time but you might have enjoyed it.

Well objectively, forecasts are better today than they were 10, 20, 30 years ago. Having an impressive repertoire of pattern recognition is fantastic but it can only get you so far. I think the public demands more every year. 

32 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Well objectively, forecasts are better today than they were 10, 20, 30 years ago. Having an impressive repertoire pattern recognition is fantastic but it can only get you do far. I think the public demands more every year. 

Agreed. No doubt on forecast improvements, writ large.  There's a certain amount of frustration that happens in situations like this, when forecasts bust or change significantly at the last moment, which happens quite a bit.  I think the public 'demand' for accuracy is perhaps understandable but also based on complete ignorance...and that can drive your profession in ways that aren't maybe the most 'science based.'  Just my observation, but that's a whole 'nuther discussion you are better versed in. 

This storm will most likely meet the 6" snowfall warning criteria for Toronto but looks to come up a bit short on the winter storm warning of 8-14". Assuming the back end of the storm doesn't absolutely go nuts when it gets here. 

Had (has?) the potential to be something great but even here in GTA/Niagara its falling short of expectations 

edit- snow has also stopped here 

27 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Really snowing here! It didn't really start much until about 9:30 ish... Have picked up at least 2 inches since then. So about inch per hour stuff going on in the NW burbs of the Cuse.

Time to go for a Jebwalk to enjoy the snow and hope that some paranoid suburbanite doesn't shoot me or call the cops on me. :lmao:

That matches what I’m getting here. It started snowing hard about 10 and I’ve got about 2 inches now maybe a little more. If it would snow like this until even 5 we would have at least 6 inches but I’m afraid the taint is going to catch up eventually. 

• Like 1

Beautiful Jebwalk completed..and I'm alive. :)  Granular sugar just pouring out of the skies. Not large dendrites, but it's coming down so heavy it's adding up. 25 minutes of pure bliss...not worrying about the sleet probably to come. Will reach 3 inches within the hour. Standard synoptic snowfall for this winter season.

• Like 1

Just now, CNY_WX said:

That matches what I’m getting here. It started snowing hard about 10 and I’ve got about 2 inches now maybe a little more. If it would snow like this until even 5 we would have at least 6 inches but I’m afraid the taint is going to catch up eventually. 

For sure. If we were able to hold on to this all night, we would have quite the snowfall. 

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

Beautiful Jebwalk completed..and I'm alive. :)  Granular sugar just pouring out of the skies. Not large dendrites, but it's coming down so heavy it's adding up. 25 minutes of pure bliss...not worrying about the sleet probably to come. Will reach 3 inches within the hour. Standard synoptic snowfall for this winter season.

Did you feel the snow in your bare hands. It literally feels like sugar.... same texture 

• Like 1