• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Back to Back Major Synoptic Snowstorms!

Just now, Thinksnow18 said:

The 12-18 is just west of me...Dev that should be you? It is snowing almost heavy rates but the flake size is killing it

Yeah not a chance I see 12-18 “ . Coming down good like you said but it’s accumulating so slow cause of the flake size. I would not be surprised at all to have .8 or .9” QPF when all said and done and less than 10” of snow. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Rgem caved and has the decent synoptic snow pretty much only in the counties bordering the Lakes.

This storm will be in Nova Scotia before BGM does any kind of forecast adjustments lol. Maybe they're thinking there could be a December 2020 BGM-style death band of 6"/hr in the final 1-2 hours of the storm?

I think Rgem is going to be a good model to use in that it is picking up on the snow ratios being less than 10:1 on the Kuchera. Then the ratio changes when we get the system out of here and the lake effect kicks in with higher than 10:1 ratios. Perhaps we'll get some nice dendrites and better ratios when the banding moves through. We'll see.

Just now, Thinksnow18 said:

Heavy snow now flake size increasing, however, I am worried about a dry slot near Erie, or is that my imagination 

As Delta mentioned I don’t think it’s a dry slot, if you look SW of Cleveland there is more precip streaming to the NE however it’s definitely a sizable patch of dry air that was not modeled at all and will put another dent in the totals to go along with the poor flake size. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Ha. Well, I noticed that they did do a subtle (not mentioned) "Onondaga County" forecast change of us only getting a total of 4 to 8 inches by tomorrow now.

The sounding that Freak posted yesterday (?) was cause for concern regarding snow growth zone.  Looks like  ZR/IP/RN will be the dominant precip type south and east of Lake Ontario. Brutal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

As Delta mentioned I don’t think it’s a dry slot, if you look SW of Cleveland there is more precip streaming to the NE however it’s definitely a sizable patch of dry air that was not modeled at all and will put another dent in the totals to go along with the poor flake size. 

Some of the high Res models this morning and at noon showed something similar.  Just a little swirl or dry air and no forcing.  Seems like it should fill in and be transient as it approaches WNY.  

12z NAM

Capture.PNG.c9a470d3e5deefa54f8f1135b38857d2.PNG

• Thanks 1

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah this is going farther NW then any modeled showed again. Sleet reports way west. Doubt anyone gets double digits out of this aside from Chicago to northern Michigan. ^_^

Yep mix line is at the Erie County border now. What is up with that dry “patch” about to swing through here? Anyone know what’s causing it and why it wasn’t modeled? 

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah this is going farther NW then any modeled showed again. Sleet reports way west. Doubt anyone gets double digits out of this aside from Chicago to northern Michigan. ^_^

How far NW will the Thursday system go?

That Friday storm is somehow missing out SE in the last few runs so sign us up for a NW jog late in the game.  

Evening started with promise - 2" down with decent rates / flake size, then mixing started about an hour ago. Not a whole lot of expectation for the remainder of the night. My P&C now down to 3-5" overnight (not a chance) from 6-10" earlier. Of course up along the lakeshore will get hammered and over perform I am certain (which never happened by the way during the 23 years I lived up there).

First 14 winters living here in the "snowbelt" in Edinboro, averaged 158.8" snow each winter topping out with 224.3" in 08-09.

Welp, the last three, including this one as of now:

94.0" in 18-19

104.5" 19-20

66.5" to date 20-21

It simply does not snow in south central Erie County PA anymore. Every event underperforms greatly. So, another craptastic winter with another sold F grade coming up. Looking forward to an up & in miss to the NW or a down & away miss to the SE on Thursday.

Cabin Land not faring much better relative to the annual seasonal average of 180 - 200" mark out by Peak / Findley Lake area. Do have a decent snowpack of about 16" as of this evening. However, not adding much tonight I bet. Radar looks anemic as of this post and webcams for the Peak & Wilderness lodge show nada. Must be a mix now as well or just pixie dust falling.

Thanks for entertaining my cathartic rant.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

How far NW will the Thursday system go?

Thurs system will fizzle into nothing. It's over modeled right now.

• Like 1