• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Back to Back Major Synoptic Snowstorms!

3 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Overall take on this one? Sleet to thruway or north? 

I dont think you'll have to worry about sleet where you are.. Some idiots will no doubt report it after midnight tonight when the lift is lower down in the column and there's significant riming and poor snow growth. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

I dont think you'll have to worry about sleet where you are.. Some idiots will no doubt report it after midnight tonight when the lift is lower down in the column and there's significant riming and poor snow growth. 

(Note to self:  Don’t report sleet during Jeb Walk)

• Haha 8

Just now, 96blizz said:

(Note to self:  Don’t report sleet during Jeb Walk)

lol. I just notice people do that sometimes. If it's windy and there's riming you'll hear the snow hit the window, but to get proper sleet, you really need more melting aloft (like 1C or greater). This just doesn't in the right setup for sleet for WNY. Even though the GFS say sleet on the ptype maps, if you look the sounding, there's no where in the sounding above zero. The larger concern is that the models are overdoing qpf a bit given that the system is all front end warm advection and the dryslot is always closer than you think. 

• Like 1

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

lol. I just notice people do that sometimes. If it's windy and there's riming you'll hear the snow hit the window, but to get proper sleet, you really need more melting aloft (like 1C or greater). This just doesn't in the right setup for sleet for WNY. Even though the GFS say sleet on the ptype maps, if you look the sounding, there's no where in the sounding above zero. The larger concern is that the models are overdoing qpf a bit given that the system is all front end warm advection and the dryslot is always closer than you think. 

All good. When I’m out at 1AM with a cold one and swallowing snow or rime - I won’t care which it is!  Appreciate your contributions!!

I still think it’s the classic Thump to Snizzle where you get 90% of your accumulation in like a 4-5 hour period and then have some leftover dry slotted snizzle to make the snow heavier to move when the hangover wears off. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

Ok, so does that make another 15 more or less impressive?  I'm also highly skeptical anyone got 2 feet.  12 inches sure, 18 maybe.... 2 feet.. nope.  Not believing that for a second. 

Anyway, good for them though.  That's one of the worst places in the whole Great Lakes in regards to getting appreciative snow.  I'm sure their local snow nerds are in their glory.  

All I meant was they're having a really good stretch up there.

36 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

I was just watching The weather channel and they were talking about that deadly tornado in Georgia and right after that segment they showed an in-house model or whatever they use at the weather channel and it had the mix line staying pretty much south of Syracuse through the whole event so I don't know where they're getting these models from but that's what I just saw

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Channel 9’s in house model keeps the taint the southeast f Syracuse. 

• Like 2

My belief is once the actual system arrives the moisture will get to the snow growth zone.
Nah, I posted the skew T of this but I guess no one noticed, lol. The snow growth region is super shallow about 2200' so I doubt we see anything nite worthy but I can definitely be wrong as It was the skew that I was reading so hopefully it was wrong

Needles are common around -5C. That's where the warm nose is at and it's pretty dry with weak omega. The lift will increase tonight and increase in depth with the incoming low, so they'll be clumps of different kinds of flakes then. 
How's it going Nick? Still up in Labrador? Or was it Nova Scotia?

There remains uncertainty to the track and timing of this storm
system for Thursday and Friday. The 12Z deterministic run of the GFS
is now in better agreement with the 12Z Canadian in maintaining the
eastward track of of the deepening coastal low, which will aid in
pulling colder air southward across our region. Though model
guidance continues to trend a tad colder, will continue to mention
the possibility of mixed precip with this system Thursday - early
Friday. Regardless, any mixed precip that may clip the CWA will
change over to all snow by Friday as colder air filters in. While
it`s still too early to pin down any specifics, and with the
exception of any mixed precipitation that may nudge into the region,
significant snowfall accumulations for the majority of the area are
possible Thursday morning and into Friday.

In terms of temperatures, the cold streak will continue with highs
remaining below normal.

&&

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...
Northwest flow behind exiting system will transition synoptic-scale
precipitation over to lake enhanced/lake effect snow Friday night
into Saturday. High pressure and drier air will build in and
diminish the lake effect snows Sunday.

22 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

All I meant was they're having a really good stretch up there.

I got you brother.  Wasnt trying to knock you, I just think its important we don't inflate numbers.  This forum lives and dies on accurate snowfall totals so giving someone a free 2 feet when they probably got 18" doesn't seem fair.  It's easily the most snow I've seen them get from a trajectory like that.