Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Back to Back Major Synoptic Snowstorms!

1 minute ago, Thinksnow18 said:

That’s a monster storm system 

Posted in other thread, but a massive tornado in georgia right now. It's off the charts on radar

* At 442 PM EST, a confirmed large and extremely dangerous tornado
  was located 7 miles southeast of Arlington, or 12 miles north of
  Colquitt, moving northeast at 60 mph.

This is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. TAKE COVER NOW!

https://fb.watch/3GFO8s9vQ9/

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, 96blizz said:

BGM stands strong. Shaved a little off south of here but still very similar to their 5:45AM update. 

Super high 8” plus percentages  

2B4675E4-95DC-4E90-AF4E-22A08518DBAA.png

9D9B72CC-A632-448B-9C9F-987F1B361443.png

The northwestern sections of Yates to northern Oneida counties... basically left of a line from Penn Yan to Boonville still have a fighting chance to get 6-8 and salvage the WSW... but as for the rest of that map... 

unnamed.jpg.4c54cd25d29a14cd385a012927f58c6e.jpg

• Haha 1

Just now, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Precip shield advancing quickly now to the N&E!

I will say from a lot of experience living in NJ and Philly that WAA snows often come in way faster than modeled. That may be part of what NWS BGM sees too. You don’t need many hours of rates like this on the RGEM to pile up really quick. 

Always used to call it the classic “Thump to Snizzle.”

E45F9762-1C1C-44CC-B880-468658C7804D.png

12 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

They just got 2' from Lake effect a few days ago.

Ok, so does that make another 15 more or less impressive?  I'm also highly skeptical anyone got 2 feet.  12 inches sure, 18 maybe.... 2 feet.. nope.  Not believing that for a second. 

Anyway, good for them though.  That's one of the worst places in the whole Great Lakes in regards to getting appreciative snow.  I'm sure their local snow nerds are in their glory.  

10 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Ok, so does that make another 15 more or less impressive?  I'm also highly skeptical anyone got 2 feet.  12 inches sure, 18 maybe.... 2 feet.. nope.  Not believing that for a second. 

Anyway, good for them though.  That's one of the worst places in the whole Great Lakes in regards to getting appreciative snow.  I'm sure their local snow nerds are in their glory.  

The Burlington area got 12-15", on the 12th, then a similar area got 4-6" on the 13th. You won't find it in the Hamilton airport totals because they're much further inland. Those easterly lake effect bands usually form in very light low-level synoptic flow in arctic airmass, so they don't extend very far.  

2 minutes ago, SyracuseStorm said:

Lmao!!  Herpes always over delivers even when you wish it wouldn’t!  I am in the Poconos and just want WNY/CNY to get crushed- this map is B)

Indeed. HERPES always delivers.  And sticks around a LONG time  

Its clear to me the NWS has early access to the Canadian models. 

BAB39527-439E-4E2A-87B2-7E36F4DBA7FA.png

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Not concerned at all yet because we have light returns overhead but just wanted to note the snow that is falling is literally straight tiny needles literally looks like tiny ice shavings from a snow cone maker. Any reason why the flakes are like that? Not sure i remember ever seeing them so needle like. 

My belief is once the actual system arrives the moisture will get to the snow growth zone.

I was just watching The weather channel and they were talking about that deadly tornado in Georgia and right after that segment they showed an in-house model or whatever they use at the weather channel and it had the mix line staying pretty much south of Syracuse through the whole event so I don't know where they're getting these models from but that's what I just saw

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

The Burlington area got 12-15", on the 12th, then a similar area got 4-6" on the 13th. You won't find it in the Hamilton airport totals because they're much further inland. Those easterly lake effect bands usually form in very light low-level synoptic flow in arctic airmass, so they don't extend very far.  

Ok good, I'm glad we confirmed that no one got 2 feet.  I didn't see a single verified measurement over 25cm....   and for reference.  2 feet is 60cm. 

Anyway, I'm done nitpicking

5 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

My belief is once the actual system arrives the moisture will get to the snow growth zone.

Needles are common around -5C. That's where the warm nose is at and it's pretty dry with weak omega. The lift will increase tonight and increase in depth with the incoming low, so they'll be clumps of different kinds of flakes then. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

Needles are common around -5C. That's where the warm nose is at and it's pretty dry with weak omega. The lift will increase tonight and increase in depth with the incoming low, so they'll be clumps of different kinds of flakes then. 

Overall take on this one? Sleet to thruway or north? 

• Like 1