• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 17-19th Potential Of Potential

Chicago Storm

Does anyone have the corresponding maps from the Euro and Ukie?  I'm blocked by the paywall.

I think the jet buckling like a whip is the key to the weenie run being closer to reality.  It has to do with the evolution of the speed max diving down the Pacific Coast.  If that speed max slows down the eastward progress of the longwave trough, there will be enough northward rebound behind the departing OV system to produce a deeper more north tracking low.  The longwave trough effectively splits in two, and the low can ride up in between.  The problem is if that streak doesn't dig down enough to hold back the western end of trough, the whole thing will just slide east, leading to weaker more positively tilted system that gives the OV more snow but misses IL/MI.

gfs_namer_083_300_wnd_ht.gif

gfs_namer_101_300_wnd_ht.gif

Just now, StormChaser4Life said:

0z Canadian looked nice. 0z gfs was a bump east but I'm sure we will see plenty of wobbles especially till after this first system gets resolved and until we get better sampling of the jet responsible. Holding hope this can finally be my best winter storm of the season. 

I'm rooting for u man. It's our turns now

• Like 1

fun LOT tidbit:  INTERESTING TO NOTE THAT EVEN THE DRIER ENSEMBLE   
CLUSTERS FROM WPC ANALYSIS BRING AROUND A TENTH OF AN INCH OF QPF   
INTO OUR SOUTHEASTERN CWA WITH THIS SYSTEM, INDICATING THE   
POTENTIAL FOR SOME SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATION WELL   
NORTHWEST OF THE LOW TRACK

3 hours ago, Baum said:

fun LOT tidbit:  INTERESTING TO NOTE THAT EVEN THE DRIER ENSEMBLE   
CLUSTERS FROM WPC ANALYSIS BRING AROUND A TENTH OF AN INCH OF QPF   
INTO OUR SOUTHEASTERN CWA WITH THIS SYSTEM, INDICATING THE   
POTENTIAL FOR SOME SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATION WELL   
NORTHWEST OF THE LOW TRACK

Well, if it can go strong nagative tilt and not lose energy to the coast it can throw a defo-band pretty far west.  Everything is so up in the air now that the track keeps changing even with the next event.  Exhausting.

15 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Now looking like this 1st system might be my better shot at significant snowfall with models shifting east once again with this system. But wouldn't be shocked to see it trend nw again after this current system passes and models can resolve its snowfall foot print. 

I think the main source of uncertainty is over the the North Pacific.  It has good potential to trend NW if it comes off the Southern Rockies strong.  The pattern won't really be the same anymore over North America since the cold dome will be modifying some just because they days are getting longer.  Models just aren't sampling the source region for the upper jet streaks diving down the west coast very well.  It's not really an issue just affecting one model.  All of them have been sketchy lately at long range.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, frostfern said:

I think the main source of uncertainty is over the the North Pacific.  It has good potential to trend NW if it comes off the Southern Rockies strong.  The pattern won't really be the same anymore over North America since the cold dome will be modifying some just because they days are getting longer.  Models just aren't sampling the source region for the upper jet streaks diving down the west coast very well.  It's not really an issue just affecting one model.  All of them have been sketchy lately at long range.

Or any range for that matter. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, janetjanet998 said:

not surprising but the 18z NAM seems north

at 84 hours

Not to get greedy but would be AMAZING to get two back to back big snowstorms here. Esp after all winter has been lamefest minus NYD storm. Hoping that one can trend nw last second like this current one did. Long range nam looks similar to what it did for the current storm at this range.