Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 18-19 long duration manageable snow and ice event

wdrag

10 minutes ago, EpicHECS said:

Exactly. I lost power pretty early on in this, too. I've never been stuck inside for longer following any other storm anywhere. 

You know one day we're going to see something like this but with all snow in the entire northeast. Like some huge stripe north and west of the big cities with 3'+, monster drifts. It's just a matter of time. 

Speaking of coastal Jersey hits: December 2010. 36" at Brick NJ, extreme drifts. Isn't that this area's #1 snowfall ever? 

FWIW look up the snowfall map for Blizzard 1888- this might be the type of storm you've described.

And it was in March after it was in the 60s lol.

27 minutes ago, L.I.Pete said:

I got stuck in a hotel at South of the Border (NC/SC) for a couple of days on the way from NY to Ft. Lauderdale in the December '89 storm...took two hours to travel the last 10 miles and I-95 was closed the next day. Remember watching playoff football at the hotel, getting trashed at South of the Border and shooting off fireworks in the snow.

South of the border?...I never sausage a place like that...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, EpicHECS said:

I don't remember NYC getting that much but I'll always remember the winds. But if this is so, why is this storm mentioned so rarely? It outdoes so many others over the years. Really - it could not have been more of a total whiteout with literally damaging winds up here that night. Power was out for an extended period of time and many people wound up stranded inside for days because of downed trees and power lines under the snow. Just an extreme event. 

NYC received 20.9 inches from the storm.

Where I am in Orange County, Highland Mills, I received 35 inches which is my biggest storm of all time, Middletown in Orange County had 30 inches and Monroe also had 35 inches. 40 miles due east of me in Danbury CT I believe they received 7 inches of snow, the rest rain and In most of New England that storm was all rain. One of the few times in my life I was actually ready for the snow to end when it did. It was very wet and heavy, I thought my roof might actually collapse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Where I am in Orange County, Highland Mills, I received 35 inches which is my biggest storm of all time, Middletown in Orange County had 30 inches and Monroe also had 35 inches. 40 miles due east of me in Danbury CT I believe they received 7 inches of snow, the rest rain and In most of New England that storm was all rain. One of the few times in my life I was actually ready for the snow to end when it did. It was very wet and heavy, I thought my roof might actually collapse.

It did have a lot of similarities to the Blizzard of 1888

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

One of my top 3 of all time. 30-40” throughout Orange County 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Torch said:

How much rain did Sandy drop here? Not so sure it was a huge amount?

No it was a little more than an inch.

But on a snow track that would be a lot more and the winds would be incredibly destructive.

In the snowicane at one point we were getting blizzard conditions with heavy snow on a south wind lol

6 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Walt made a separate thread for this storm because we're within 12 hours

No thats the obs thread, this is still the thread to discuss the storm modeling/forecasts etc. alittle off topic is fine but its taken over every thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Just now, BxEngine said:

No thats the obs thread, this is still the thread to discuss the storm modeling/forecasts etc. alittle off topic is fine but its taken over every thread.

Yes sorry I really tried not to so I'm really sorry about that, but it seems like a discussion was already being made so I decided to enter it.

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Lee Goldberg just called out Upton, it was awesome.  He said Mt Holly handled it right with the Winter Storm Warning and Upton divided the storm into two different time periods (Thursday and Friday) when in fact most of the event will occur on Thursday.  He said better coordination is needed between the offices and what Upton did was "confusing."

Hmmm, interesting. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Lee Goldberg just called out Upton, it was awesome.  He said Mt Holly handled it right with the Winter Storm Warning and Upton divided the storm into two different time periods (Thursday and Friday) when in fact most of the event will occur on Thursday.  He said better coordination is needed between the offices and what Upton did was "confusing."

Did Lee Goldberg call out Upton for being too conservative? That would be dramatic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Classless move by Lee.  This is a tough forecast.  I'm glad no one on here calls out the NWS.  If I see a weenie do that, it won't be pretty.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Classless move by Lee.  This is a tough forecast.  I'm glad no one on here calls out the NWS.  If I see a weenie do that, it won't be pretty.  

And they ultimately came up with the same snow range. The rule is that 6” over more than 12 hours is an advisory event, which is what the consensus essentially is. Glad I really couldn’t care less about what TV Mets have to say. And yes it’s tough. A couple degrees warmer aloft or this being a sheared out mess means we struggle to get to a few inches, or a bit colder and more intense front end means we can get to 9”. 

• Like 3