Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 13th/14th 2021 Winter Storm

Rjay

• Rjay featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic

NO one inch snow probs for our subforum from WPC this morning but it's possible there is a bit of snow accumulation along the I84 corridor spotty 1-2?. Whatever it is, is light and I think only advisory where the eventual ice encroachment. Graphics added from 09z/12 for probs of 0.01 freezing rain.   Remarkable I think to see a freezing rain bullseye for LI on Valentines Day.  Treated roads would probably be just wet, but untreated surfaces, bridges and overpasses... caution.  Probably not enough glaze for power outages unless someone slides into a pole. 

Screen_Shot_2021-02-12_at_5_04.59_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2021-02-12_at_5_05.14_AM.png

• Like 2

Will begin the OBS-NOWcast for the 13th-14th advisory event (already a portion of NJ)  at about 5A Saturday, gaining a little more confidence on timing the showery mixed precipitation heading our way. Maybe it will be more stratiform? Think it will begin as a  bit of snow or sleet at the start NYC midday-afternoon with maybe a few tenths before any change to freezing rain at night, ending sometime Sunday. nw of I95 there's a small chance of an inch or so of snow-sleet, before any ice. 

7 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Will begin the OBS-NOWcast for the 13th-14th advisory event (already a portion of NJ)  at about 5A Saturday, gaining a little more confidence on timing the showery mixed precipitation heading our way. Maybe it will be more stratiform? Think it will begin as a  bit of snow or sleet at the start NYC midday-afternoon with maybe a few tenths before any change to freezing rain at night, ending sometime Sunday. nw of I95 there's a small chance of an inch or so of snow-sleet, before any ice. 

Walt,

Are North and NW of I84 in the loop?

Thank you !

All of the precip in the map below is falling on surfaces that are below 32F and is shown as ZR on the Euro.  This would be 0.2-0.4" of ZR for most along and SE of 95, which would be a pretty big deal.  Temps except right at the immediate coast never get above 30F.  The Euro is showing more QPF than most other models, but if it's right, this is a fairly nasty ZR event, especially with much of the precip falling at night.  

qpf_acc.us_ma.png

sfct.us_ma.png

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.us_ma.png

May have been posted earlier, but presume you noticed the 375,000 customers (a little less than a miliion people) without power just n of RDU  through southern VA!  This was the SPC HREF FRAM ice forecast for the 00z/13 cycle for Saturday.  Not too bad. It tend to be a little heavy sometimes, and maybe a bit too cold on the south side.  If you look at power outage.us and click the states... pretty impressive.  That's what I'll be looking for up here in NJ/PA/NYS/CT Mon-Tue, THU-FRI.  So while we had some problem glaze in our sub forum... nothing like southern VA, far north-central NC. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 9.32.11 AM.png

• Like 5

• Rjay unpinned this topic