Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 15-16 Event

Ralph Wiggum

7 minutes ago, Snowcane21 said:

Yep. NAM shows a serious ice storm for Allentown.  Not a surprise. Still a precarious situation for N and W zones.... 

We are still sitting on about 18 inches of compacted snow up here. This is not going to be pretty. There is a glaze on

everything from last night freezing drizzle and fog. Going to be a mess...B)

10 minutes ago, penndotguy said:

What is the actual chance of an ice storm of .50 or greater out here in Berks, I have the generator poised and ready. 

I would monitor the NWS forecasts. They are the professionals. I think the hobbyists here have stated the most obvious tho that there is growing concern N and W. Wait and see what the actual zone forecasts look like for your area is my suggestion. And as always better to be prepared than not.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I would monitor the NWS forecasts. They are the professionals. I think the hobbyists here have stated the most obvious tho that there is growing concern N and W. Wait and see what the actual zone forecasts look like for your area is my suggestion. And as always better to be prepared than not.

the HRR, NAM, WRF suite are showing the bulk of the precipitation done by 7am Tuesday  with the low level cold holding til then .. the global models a bit slower with the precipitation and warm the low levels much faster ... the prior suite is usually better at picking up this type of scenario close in.. we shall see.  

2 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

sound advice. I have been doing this for 30+ years and I am very troubled with the chaos going on in all of the models, especially this mornings NAM run. Every storm event this week must be a now cast event. Models are changing as the events unfolds. .5 to  1 in of ice would literally devastate the rural areas of Lehigh and Berks counties. All of the tree trimming that PPL did the last five years from Sandy is going to pay off in just this storm event alone if it unfolds as it shows right now. Time for the pros to use all of the tools in the toolboxes and the weather historians to look at the analogies of ice storms in the 70's for our area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

12 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

sound advice. I have been doing this for 30+ years and I am very troubled with the chaos going on in all of the models, especially this mornings NAM run. Every storm event this week must be a now cast event. Models are changing as the events unfolds. .5 to  1 in of ice would literally devastate the rural areas of Lehigh and Berks counties. All of the tree trimming that PPL did the last five years from Sandy is going to pay off in just this storm event alone if it unfolds as it shows right now. Time for the pros to use all of the tools in the toolboxes and the weather historians to look at the analogies of ice storms in the 70's for our area.

I'm definitely a bit on edge out here, I've been through some bad Icing out this way in last 30yrs and had some pretty substantial damage done. no power for 1-2 weeks is not fun in the winter months. Ill be happy with 34 and rain 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Newman said:

Most of the individual HREF short range models paint at least 0.5" of ice across Berks and the Lehigh Valley. Remember, the freezing rain accretion maps are almost always overdone. But 0.25-0.5" of ice seems likely IMO

Berks only need .25 for a Ice Storm Warning while Lehigh need .50.  I still think if anything NWS will go with Winter Storm Watch/Warning if warranted.  Or if they think less likely Advisories 

1 hour ago, Oliviajames said:

Berks only need .25 for a Ice Storm Warning while Lehigh need .50.  I still think if anything NWS will go with Winter Storm Watch/Warning if warranted.  Or if they think less likely Advisories 

Mt Holly AFD this morning did mention WWA possible but didn’t expect much more than .10” ice, we’ll see what the Afternoon package says. Looking like we may get some snow as well

Man the meso s are really cold for Monday night into Tuesday. Would be a significant ice storm even down to 95. This one is the most significant but all the mesos drop between .25"-.5"+ all the way to 95. HRRR also is much more significant than the globals with close to .25" frz down to 95. Lehigh valley should prepare for a major ice event.

zr_acc.us_ne.png

1 minute ago, The Iceman said:

Man the meso s are really cold for Monday night into Tuesday. Would be a significant ice storm even down to 95. This one is the most significant but all the mesos drop between .25"-.5"+ all the way to 95. HRRR also is much more significant than the globals with close to .25" frz down to 95. Lehigh valley should prepare for a major ice event.

zr_acc.us_ne.png

Yeah I’m really Thinking Mt Holly might have an interesting AFD later on with the way guidance is trending

1 hour ago, Oliviajames said:

Different Criteria to trigger a warning for Ice is baffling. Unlike snow where the more prepared an area is I.e. plows. Etc.  can impact each region much differently.  Ice is ice.  Accretion of .25” on trees and power lines creates the same issues in any county. Ice is much more of a great equalizer. It essentially cripples everyone 

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1