• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 15-16 Event

Ralph Wiggum

If the freezing rain comes down too heavy, however, you won't see as much accrual. Those big rain drops will require a lot more energy to freeze compared to smaller drizzle drops. Also, you can't forget about the latent heat aspect of the rain turning from liquid to ice on contact. That is essentially why its so hard to get significant icing events sometimes. Because the surface naturally warms as the rain transitions in state from liquid -> solid.... Anyway, this isn't a long duration storm. It's modeled to be like an 8-10ish hour storm max. If you can lock in the cold just enough for those NW, I don't see how places escape a moderate icing event

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

No clue what you're talking about.

I just said it's 27F and not icy but wet...that's it. Sun angle plays a part till nightfall...

27f here Blue Bell light freezing mist attm accretion beginning on all surfaces. Not wet. Frozen glaze. Maybe you were walking on a brined road or sidewalk?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Newman said:

If the freezing rain comes down too heavy, however, you won't see as much accrual. Those big rain drops will require a lot more energy to freeze compared to smaller drizzle drops. Also, you can't forget about the latent heat aspect of the rain turning from liquid to ice on contact. That is essentially why its so hard to get significant icing events sometimes. Because the surface naturally warms as the rain transitions in state from liquid -> solid.... Anyway, this isn't a long duration storm. It's modeled to be like an 8-10ish hour storm max. If you can lock in the cold just enough for those NW, I don't see how places escape a moderate icing event

Agree completely but if it’s not coming down hardly at all evaporates on the surface. The roads when I was out earlier we’re completely dry even though it was drizzling slightly now in Newtown it is raining at a decent clip and the roads are getting wet but not icy because been salted

1 minute ago, hazwoper said:

Agree completely but if it’s not coming down hardly at all evaporates on the surface. The roads when I was out earlier we’re completely dry even though it was drizzling slightly now in Newtown it is raining at a decent clip and the roads are getting wet but not icy because been salted

Completely agree. It's dry out there, so if rates are too little it obviously won't accrete. We were under a freezing fog advisory maybe a couple months back, and let me tell ya the roads were hella slippery even after something like that. I don't think todays storm and Tuesday are too comparable QPF wise. Tuesday will be loaded with gulf moisture.

5 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

I’m out driving right now inNewtown Bucks County on my way to Levitown to pick up dinner. Rain is freezing to my windshield. Of course this is happening where I’m getting into heavier precipitation rates not where is barely coming down

Wow, an L-Town reference. If you don't mind what restaurant

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

27f here Blue Bell light freezing mist attm accretion beginning on all surfaces. Not wet. Frozen glaze. Maybe you were walking on a brined road or sidewalk?

You had many meltdowns/Ji's in the past...not busting. 

I walked in the street/sidewalks around 3pm and were wet. Recently drove toward the Montgomery Mall (202)...just wet.

Checking police, nothing major...just 3. 

As dark approaches,  of course things will get worse.  

acc.jpg

• Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

You had many meltdowns/Ji's in the past...not busting

I walked in the street/sidewalks around 3pm and were wet. Recently drove toward the Montgomery Mall (202)...just wet.

Checking police, nothing major...just 3. 

As dark approaches,  of course things will get worse.  

acc.jpg

What r you talking about meltdowns? Who pissed in your Wheaties bro? LMFAO!

9 minutes ago, Oliviajames said:

I think there is only three weeks in winter where people don’t bring up the sun angle .  It is mid February people.  Sun angle is limited 

It's about 10° higher now (36°) than on Dec. 22nd, which can make a difference on blacktop and other darker surfaces, even on cloudy days. I never stress over it, it's just a piece of reality. 

It is kind of classic (later) February to have highs in the 30's on a sunny day with snow rapidly melting on southern exposures, and then get accumulating snow that night or the next day. I've had a foot or more of granular snow in shaded areas late in the month, with grass showing in other sunny areas. Some of that is in fact due to sun angle, I believe.

• Thanks 1

I think this thread is in as much chaos as the models. We all need to ingest more data to come up with reasonable expectations of this weeks wintry events.  I surely believe what the models are currently depicting will depict the LV having a moderate to severe ice storm in this event or in the next one along with snow. These are simply all 24 hour now cast events for this week. Looking at these models to wish for heavy snow just cannot be done this weather pattern that is experiencing major upheaval.  I see a huge warm up no matter what after the 24th and winter will finally turn the corner.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

I think this thread is in as much chaos as the models. We all need to ingest more data to come up with reasonable expectations of this weeks wintry events.  I surely believe what the models are currently depicting will depict the LV having a moderate to severe ice storm in this event or in the next one along with snow. These are simply all 24 hour now cast events for this week. Looking at these models to wish for heavy snow just cannot be done this weather pattern that is experiencing major upheaval.  I see a huge warm up no matter what after the 24th and winter will finally turn the corner.

I'm savoring my snowpack!

• Like 1