Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 13, 2021 Ice Storm Obs

WxUSAF

13 minutes ago, WesternFringe said:

Upgraded in Augusta and Rockingham:

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Freezing rain and sleet. Around a quarter of an inch of ice from freezing rain. A coating of sleet is possible. 

* WHERE...Augusta and Rockingham Counties. 

* WHEN...Until 7 AM EST Sunday. 

* IMPACTS...Travel will be very dangerous. 

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Roadways are becoming very icy and dangerous. Avoid all unnecessary travel. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency. When venturing outside, watch your first few steps taken on steps, sidewalks, and driveways, which could be icy and slippery, increasing your risk of a fall and injury. &&

Not sure how it was over toward your way in the Nov 2018 ice storm... but we don't need that to repeat over in Waynesboro east Augusta....that was a wild night and crazy few days to follow...

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

Almost like snow

Yes! That's what we've got here in Haymarket, just 3 miles north of Haymarket on RT 15. The ground and now the roads are whitening. I wasn't expecting that. Luckily, it's all sleet here after earlier starting as freezing rain. At least it's pretty!

8 minutes ago, Jrlg1181 said:

Not sure how it was over toward your way in the Nov 2018 ice storm... but we don't need that to repeat over in Waynesboro east Augusta....that was a wild night and crazy few days to follow...

I drove from work in Maryland back to Charlottesville through 81/Shenandoah that evening. Almost got stuck in a couple spots and had to take several detours because of downed trees. 

• Like 1

Just now, dukeblue219 said:

Can anyone explain to me why my car and my kids' Cozy Coupe are covered in solid ice with 6" icicles all over, but the trees and shrubs are not? Basketball goal and net are just wet with no icicles. Is it raining too hard to accumulate on hanging items so it only ices on stuff with large flat surfaces? 

Probably more surface area for the water to sit on a cold surface as opposed to a small tree branch grappling with sun angle.

8 minutes ago, dukeblue219 said:

Can anyone explain to me why my car and my kids' Cozy Coupe are covered in solid ice with 6" icicles all over, but the trees and shrubs are not? Basketball goal and net are just wet with no icicles. Is it raining too hard to accumulate on hanging items so it only ices on stuff with large flat surfaces? 

Apparently the warm layer is only 27" and not 2700' off the ground. Just another way showing ninas and winter wx hate us

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic