Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 13, 2021 Ice Storm Obs

WxUSAF

2 minutes ago, EHoffman said:

Light rain, pavement wet, don't really even see much accrual on branches or elevated surfaces.

Oh man... the sidewalk in front of my house is straight ice in mt. Pleasant. The temp fell to 27 also... don’t think that bodes too well looking at the radar.

1 minute ago, chris21 said:

Oh man... the sidewalk in front of my house is straight ice in mt. Pleasant. The temp fell to 27 also... don’t think that bodes too well looking at the radar.

Interesting...I live on Harvard and 18th so I'm right near Mt Pleasant.  Also I haven't been outside I'm just looking through my apt window so take what I say with a grain of salt.  But people seem to be walking normally on sidewalks

Upgraded in Augusta and Rockingham:

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Freezing rain and sleet. Around a quarter of an inch of ice from freezing rain. A coating of sleet is possible. 

* WHERE...Augusta and Rockingham Counties. 

* WHEN...Until 7 AM EST Sunday. 

* IMPACTS...Travel will be very dangerous. 

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Roadways are becoming very icy and dangerous. Avoid all unnecessary travel. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency. When venturing outside, watch your first few steps taken on steps, sidewalks, and driveways, which could be icy and slippery, increasing your risk of a fall and injury. &&

2 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

27.7 and ZR, but this is really low-impact due to the sun angle.  Little accumulation on the wires or trees.  Sidewalk is wet.  Metal surfaces are certainly icy.

Do you think also that it’s raining to hard to get the accrual on everything?  I never expected the roads to be bad but expected the trees and such to be icier.

3 minutes ago, EHoffman said:

Interesting...I live on Harvard and 18th so I'm right near Mt Pleasant.  Also I haven't been outside I'm just looking through my apt window so take what I say with a grain of salt.  But people seem to be walking normally on sidewalks

We need lots of “grains of salt” on those sidewalks. 

1 minute ago, LP08 said:

Do you think also that it’s raining to hard to get the accrual on everything?  I never expected the roads to be bad but expected the trees and such to be icier.

I think accrual will gradually catch up if the temp does not budge much. Tonight is supposed to be only around 27-28. I just don’t see how all of this doesn’t freeze given past similar situations.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

27.7 and ZR, but this is really low-impact due to the sun angle.  Little accumulation on the wires or trees.  Sidewalk is wet.  Metal surfaces are certainly icy.

Not here. Pretty rapid accretion here on everything. Definitely so spotty sheets of ice on roads too. My sidewalk is a skating rink. It's only 27 degrees. It's not March and 31.5.

Freezing rain here in Crofton, 28°/23°.

As I mentioned yesterday, the forecast *still* has us getting to 37°F tomorrow. With no horizontal temperature advection and a bolstered in-situ CAD setup with all that sleet and ice to melt (diabatic cooling), I have no idea when we'll hit the freezing mark again. Monday perhaps?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WxMan1 said:

As I mentioned yesterday, the forecast *still* has us getting to 37°F tomorrow. With no horizontal temperature advection and a bolstered in-situ CAD setup with all that sleet and ice to melt (diabatic cooling), I have no idea when we'll hit the freezing mark again. Monday perhaps?

With a light ne flow at the surface and really a classic cold air damming look I’ve been wondering the same thing....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EHoffman said:

You're too close to me.  You're gonna have to move.

Nice glaze up here in Mt. Cleveland Park.  Roads seem to look fine, but I admittedly just woke up and haven't been outside.    Looks like an overperformer in our fair city.  Of course it would be for rain.

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

You're too close to me.  You're gonna have to move.

Nice glaze up here in Mt. Cleveland Park.  Roads seem to look fine, but I admittedly just woke up and haven't been outside.    Looks like an overperformer in our fair city.  Of course it would be for rain.

Yeah but you probably have like 60 feet of elevation on me.  I'm at the bottom of the hill.

4 minutes ago, WxMan1 said:

With the IP I’m seeing now when this switches to ZR imagine it will be a glacier later. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic