Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 13, 2021 Ice Storm Obs

WxUSAF

2 minutes ago, EHoffman said:

LWX issuing the watch at the same time every model goes super dry.  Absolute poetry

Yeah but sometimes lighter precip is actually more problematic in these temps. It’s only forecast to be in the upper 20s to low 30s for Saturday/Sunday.  If you wanna see some pretty trees and deck railings then showers and drizzle will do the trick.  Now, on Tuesday, if it’s really 20 degrees then yeah heavier rain will accrete and if you’re rooting for a high impact event then yeah root for heavies.  Just my $0.02. 

1 hour ago, Stormfly said:

Last time we had a verified ice storm warning was Feb 04, 2014.

Accretion on various objects can be beautiful for sure.

ice-bud.jpg

Ugh that storm was bad up my way, over a quarter inch, lost power for a day, tons of tree damage. You guys can have it, lol

38 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

Yeah but sometimes lighter precip is actually more problematic in these temps. It’s only forecast to be in the upper 20s to low 30s for Saturday/Sunday.  If you wanna see some pretty trees and deck railings then showers and drizzle will do the trick.  Now, on Tuesday, if it’s really 20 degrees then yeah heavier rain will accrete and if you’re rooting for a high impact event then yeah root for heavies.  Just my $0.02. 

The thing I thought that was odd about the LWX Watch was where it said "Travel could become nearly impossible." --  -- That is pretty harsh wording, usually only reserved for the biggest and most troublesome events.     And modern ice storms around here rarely seem to cause too much havoc on major interstates, especially when forecast ahead of time considering the amount of pre treating and salting that occurs now.

25 minutes ago, mappy said:

Ugh that storm was bad up my way, over a quarter inch, lost power for a day, tons of tree damage. You guys can have it, lol

Here too, we STILL have leftovers from that one.  Some trees just couldn't be saved.  Hate when that happens.  Unless it's oak that can be milled of course. ;)

Perhaps everyone should root for ICE, then we'll get snow.  Couldn't hurt, right?

Something is and has been coming over last 10 days and for next 4. Models have not known what nor where and will not so neither do or will we. Looks like significant arctic plunge was a bust also even if two days for upper 20’s high upcoming A new method is desperately needed and I have the answer. 

• Weenie 2

Something is and has been coming over last 10 days and for next 4. Models have not known what nor where and will not so neither do or will we. Looks like significant arctic plunge was a bust also even if two days for upper 20’s high upcoming A new method is desperately needed and I have the answer. 
Care to share with the rest of the class?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• stormtracker changed the title to February 13, 2021 Ice Storm Obs
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic