Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 14-16 Winter Storm

Hoosier

Just now, Frog Town said:

I gotta ask the question again.  If this keeps trending stronger/amped, could Blizzard conditions materialize somewhere.  And if so, where's the most likely place.  

I've been reading that NWS is not expecting wind and duration to meet the criteria at present.  Mainly heavy snowfall rates.

3 minutes ago, Courtney_snow said:

Can we defund the NWS and models? Absolutely worthless. If models are only accurate a day out, we don’t need them. I can look outside and see what it’s doing. 

Models are not the be all and end all in forecasting even though we have fun with them here.  They are a useful tool to be used with good old fashioned synoptic meteorology..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I heard the cry for lurkers to appear...

Lurker from about an hour east of the St. Louis city, and seeing that bright pink bulls eye moving slowly to my location is... Well, as a person who grew up in an island with snow a foreign word [or the precursor to the apocalypse], the amount of hype I'm feeling is beyond ecstatic!!

We still have graupel from last week hanging around - radiant heat has turned the top layer to ice, but it's still majestic to see. About 2" or so - the air not being above freezing since the 5th or so ofFeb helps. Was also a brutal -1°F, too, this morning. I've never been so cold before in my life...

• Like 5

Just now, RCNYILWX said:

Always fun to take the time to post on here along with@purduewx80 and any other NWS mets that post here and on other subs, and see others saying they'd have no problem defunding the NWS.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Don't listen to the bs. We greatly appreciate everything you guys do. Not an easy business.

Back to the task at hand, let it snow. :D

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Always fun to take the time to post on here along with [mention=1610]purduewx80[/mention] and any other NWS mets that post here and on other subs, and see others saying they'd have no problem defunding the NWS.

As someone who works in law enforcement...

image.gif.ece245b9be2f50ff584dc73553d03365.gif

but enough politics, your input is valued and appreciated. Especially when I wake up to posts about solid NW trends.

another tick or two and most of LOT needs a watch 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Always fun to take the time to post on here along with@purduewx80 and any other NWS mets that post here and on other subs, and see others saying they'd have no problem defunding the NWS.

I don't work for NWS but I know how frustrating it can be to see it. You, and several other red taggers in this subforum, provide some great information. We are lucky to have you. 

To those that are so quick to toss the NWS and all their hard work, we see you. For one second, just put yourself in their shoes and then make your judgment.

Anyways, off my soapbox and back to the good stuff...

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

I do not support defunding the agency that has to try forecasting something as variable as the weather. Weather is fickle, weather is emotionless. Weather does whatever it wants to do, and that can change on a dime.

As a general point: I couldn’t do the job that RC & Purdue do; and we should be even more thankful to have them around to give their expertise. It’s like if you were on the Reddit page for Game of Thrones/your favorite TV show & one of the actors was a regular contributor. Can’t take it for granted.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Trend is our friend. WAGONS NORTH! 

Went from a DAB yesterday to being in a solid advisory event now. 

LES is going to be epic. We will be unmoderated for awhile while Hoosier blacks out in joy. 

Funny how relative everything is.  Here I'm sitting thrilled at the potential for 2" after it looking DAB to DAB+ yesterday lol.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Snownado said:

Will there ever be a time when technology is so great that models can forecast the exact weather with 100% accuracy 7 days out ?

To be honest I think that would take the fun and artistry out of forecasting and tracking these systems.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Snownado said:

Will there ever be a time when technology is so great that models can forecast the exact weather with 100% accuracy 7 days out ?

IMO the biggest challenge is getting the initial conditions correct. A 100x more powerful supercomputer can't take detailed in-situ upper air measurements over the pacific. This is why using ensembles are so important when forecasting more than a couple days out.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MIstorm97 said:

Anyway..trend is undeniable here. Should be by far the biggest event of the season. Snow emergency is essentially guaranteed at this point so will be swamped at the city doing snow removal. Bring it on

Whats your snow depth? Got the delta app fired up and really close to booking a flight home tonight and staying for the week in hopes of the late week storm producing too. Could be record snow depth. 

Hoosiers asleep at the ban switch!