Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 14-16 Winter Storm

Hoosier

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Right before I moved here.  I took a quick look at that event the other day and Delta T's were similar.  Not sure how the other parameters compare though.  I know that 2014 event had 4-5" per hour rates around Griffith.  Usually you're gonna need pretty good inversion heights to get rates like that.

So I looked at 1/21/2014 in more detail.  With the caveat that I can't get an archived forecast sounding from over the lake, just looking at a couple RAOBS and reanalysis maps at 850 mb and 700 mb, it seems like inversion heights back then would've been fairly similar or maybe just a little higher.  That makes me even more confident that this band could really rip as a number of the other parameters line up similarly to the 2014 event.  I think it's very likely to produce 1-2" per hour rates and wouldn't dismiss the possibility of some 3-4" per hour rates at peak organization.

• Like 3

It's just mind boggling to look at the Euro, and to almost discount 75% of the wester edge.  Some Mets are probably gonna lose some sleep over that.  To be 10-15" on the Euro, and 2-5 on the GFS......Normally I'd be ecstatic 36 hours out.  

If I’m not mistaken it’s not going to even get into the 20s for Toledo during this entire event. Should help with the ratios quite a bit. Blowing and drifting is going to be insane this week

it really matters how much of the column is in the dendritic growth zone and other factors like fracturing of snowflakes by the wind.  Low temps don't always equal crazy high ratios.  For a major synoptic storm like this it's pretty tough to average more than 15:1.

2 minutes ago, mimillman said:

One day, one day, the HRRR LES signal will verify.

I think Cook, Lake, and Porter counties are realistically in for 4-6” locally 8”, which is still solid.

I'll take the over.  Northern Porter got 6" today on parameters that were significantly worse than what we'll have coming up.  The only way it fails imo would be if the band unexpectedly stays offshore.

5 minutes ago, wxman_ind said:

I'm not in the office and I'm not commenting on any decisions, but WPC also doesn't agree with these insane totals being thrown out there. Here is the 48 hour probability of >8" ending Tuesday at 12Z, <50% chance for IND's area.

image.png.03d3fc84f7bde1aa7529f5dc5e6212aa.png

I just have a hard time believing there's only a 10% chance of 8" in Indy. Surely at least a 30% chance ?

15 minutes ago, Snownado said:

Is it possible to have very low temps (under 20) and low ratios (under 10:1) ?

Yes absolutely. We’ve had several events in the Midwest the past couple weeks with 10:1 ratios w temps in the single digits and teens. It depends on temps in the clouds and where the best upward motion is. 

• Like 4