Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 14-16 Winter Storm

Hoosier

WPC Day 5 snow probs and their model choice via extended forecast discussion

819067017_prbww_sn25_f120(1).gif.cb2bb153c38206f3f4486591c4195fc2.gif

The WPC medium-range forecast package was derived from a composite blend of the 12Z ECMWF/EC ensemble mean, the 18Z GFS/GEFS, together with a smaller contribution from the 12Z CMC/CMC mean and the 01Z NBM. Mostly ensemble means were used on Days 6 and 7 given the increasing model uncertainties.

1 hour ago, zinski1990 said:

I'll give it another day or so. If it doesn't trend back nw I'll give up. 

Many of yesterday's 12z EPS members brought mix/ZR/rain up into central IN. The 0z and 6z EPS looks like a better track - very few mixing issues here, albeit drier. The GEFS is a similar situation. I like where we're at ATM, though do need to monitor any weaker/more sheared/drier trends today and tomorrow.

1 hour ago, blue60007 said:

Many of yesterday's 12z EPS members brought mix/ZR/rain up into central IN. The 0z and 6z EPS looks like a better track - very few mixing issues here, albeit drier. The GEFS is a similar situation. I like where we're at ATM, though do need to monitor any weaker/more sheared/drier trends today and tomorrow.

The Euro looks good. Were lucky that were in a neg pna. Southeast ridge is saving it from being another southern slider

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, zinski1990 said:

The Euro looks good. Were lucky that were in a neg pna. Southeast ridge is saving it from being another southern slider

00Z Euro area average sounding for Chicago below. The DGZ is ~14,000' deep with steep lapse rates above that and unidirectional flow off the lake. Would probably be double digit totals w/ the QPF it has forecast.

Obviously still a lot can go wrong w/ the TPV not moving out in time. There has been a trend for a deeper upper low moving across the SW and TX - if that can cut off a bit more and slow down it would likely result in a farther N/W storm track at the surface.

930407126_ScreenShot2021-02-11at9_33_19AM.thumb.png.fee6b3ff608b2df74c88028c926f6189.png

26 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

we hit on these next couple, even modestly, and we're pushing top tier depths for our climo

Don't remember depths exceeding this in 07-08 or 13-14. GHD was temporary and not the steady increase this year has been

11 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Don't remember depths exceeding this in 07-08 or 13-14. GHD was temporary and not the steady increase this year has been

Skilling posted this last night, duration of this snow depth definitely getting impressive. Top 5 is in the bag, would be neat to have every day in February in double digits though

2DDCCDC3-AE95-4BE5-9476-A7F2D180C47B.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cutlew said:

Skilling posted this last night, duration of this snow depth definitely getting impressive. Top 5 is in the bag, would be neat to have every day in February in double digits though

2DDCCDC3-AE95-4BE5-9476-A7F2D180C47B.jpeg

Its been remarkable. I haven't seen the ground since late December.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A-L-E-K said:

we hit on these next couple, even modestly, and we're pushing top tier depths for our climo

Out here in corn country, I judge snow cover by how much corn stubble is still visible. In 25 years, I can't recall it being this deep for this long, ever. There is barely a corn stalk visible in any field.

• Like 2