Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Ice/Snow threat Friday-Sunday

BullCityWx

5 minutes ago, tarheelwx said:

I think it has more to do with Wake being such a large county.  The WWA makes sense in the northwest part of the county, but not so much in the southern part.  However, it is fairly uncommon to split a country for winter advisories and warnings.

TW

Yep, although GSP does it for Greenville and Spartanburg counties in SC. The northern part is 2000+ elevation and the extreme south is almost like the SC Midlands. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tarheelwx said:

I think it has more to do with Wake being such a large county.  The WWA makes sense in the northwest part of the county, but not so much in the southern part.  However, it is fairly uncommon to split a country for winter advisories and warnings.

TW

I agree. But to some extent the same could be said about Guilford. In this setup the north and northwest part of the county (Oak Ridge, Stokesdale, Summerfield, Colfax, KGSO, Browns Summit) could approach WSW criteria where the south and southeast part (Julian, Climax, Pleasant Garden, High Point, Forest Oaks) may just be at low end advisory. Of course the city of Greensboro itself will have different conditions south to north.

Currently 29.4 over 28.1 here with 0.15"-0.20" ice with light mist.

Just now, tarheelwx said:

Totally agree.  On most all of our winter storms, there is a noticeable difference of some sort from NW to SE.  I think it is even more in Wake due to the size of the county.  Guilford isn't nearly as big.

TW

The topography changes as well. That bottom fourth might as well be coastal plain.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, btownheel said:

Betcha a nickel we both make it to 29 in darkness.

My car is reading 29° here in Stokes County. I just called my daughter and told them to keep their phones on charge. She is due to give birth to their first baby any day now and I'm stressing that she will go into labor tonight. 

No matter what happens tonight and tomorrow, I can get thru it knowing that my 7 day forecast shows sunny and 50's.  Of course the way the models have been verifying, we'll have our Big Dog next Saturday.  

Already spitting pretty steady here in Kernersville.  I really hope we dont jackpot on this one.  29°.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, norcarolinian said:

Something is falling. Normally I would say snow flurries but I know that can't be true. Ice rain? Grauple-like chunks? Snow? Don't know what to call it. Very weird.

man i wish the Triad/ CLT had its own radar. or at least a GSO-TDWR

Agreed ! is there an app or web page that has a really good radar mosaic ? weather.gov used to be great but i really miss the old style before the upgrade of the site last year.. :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mclean02 said:

Agreed ! is there an app or web page that has a really good radar mosaic ? weather.gov used to be great but i really miss the old style before the upgrade of the site last year.. :)

I use this one a lot...

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/?parms=FCX-N0Q-0-24-100-usa-rad#

But it still gets old switching between FCX, RAX, and GSP :wacko:

• Thanks 1