• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Ice/Snow threat Friday-Sunday

BullCityWx

Had a thin mist that coated a portion of the back window of my car about an hour ago.  Then about 15 minutes ago, that mist transitioned into sleet pellets which proceded to smack my head.  And man does it feel cold out.  That damp, drafty, misty, sleety air is bone chilling!  

Also, via the weather channel app in my car, Clifton Forge should be getting a Wind Chill Warning apparently...

snow.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, magpiemaniac said:

The only part of that route that has a current winter storm warning is Beckley, WV.  Here’s Beckley’s NWS forecast.  I’ve seen worse conditions.

91D6006C-1EC9-4D81-880E-A6FC49042155.jpeg

Thanks.  This one has me quite nervous because you wont know you are in it until you are in it.  Thinking I will slow down a little bit tomorrow and see if I can time my arrival into Princeton, Wytheville and Mt Airy to the late afternoon.  I only need 33°.  VADOT will do the rest.

I cant believe the cold temps forecasted up here next week wont make it down.  Highs of 15°, lows around zero.  We just cant win.

4 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

Temp here is 32.2 now. Light ZR falling... to dark to see how much is on the trees , deck still isn't ICY just yet... need to get to 31 probably to take notice 

31.8 everything is a mess. People reporting 81 is a sheet of ice. All surfaces now have a good coating of ice pellets on them. @Tealsnowball I’m sure it’s really bad out your way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buddy1987 said:

31.8 everything is a mess. People reporting 81 is a sheet of ice. All surfaces now have a good coating of ice pellets on them. @Tealsnowball I’m sure it’s really bad out your way.

I ventured out about an hour ago and roads weren't bad at that point.  I certainly won't try my luck again, especially from your reports.  Scary stuff:yikes:.

Just now, tarheelwx said:

31.6. My deck looks to be covered in sleet here in Colfax about 5 miles from GSO.  Did anyone else in the triad get sleet?

TW

I'm about 4 miles north of Kville.  Just came back from checking outside.  Light cold rain and no signs of ice on the car.  There is some accumulated sleet at the bottom of the windshield so assume it's been a bit since it fell and rain had washed most away. Back deck just looks wet. 32.3/31.0

Issued By

Roanoke/Blacksburg - VA, US, National Weather Service

Affected Area

Portions of north central and northwest North Carolina

Description

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EST TODAY... ...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING TO 11 AM EST SATURDAY... WHAT...For the first Winter Weather Advisory, freezing rain. Additional ice accumulations of a light glaze. For the second Winter Weather Advisory, freezing rain expected. Total ice accumulations of up to one tenth of an inch. WHERE...Portions of north central and northwest North Carolina. WHEN...For the first Winter Weather Advisory, until noon EST today. For the second Winter Weather Advisory, from 9 PM this evening to 11 AM EST Saturday. IMPACTS...Difficult travel conditions are possible. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening commute. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... Slow down and use caution while traveling. Prepare for possible power outages. Please report snow, sleet or ice accumulations via email at [email protected] or by calling the National Weather Service toll free at...1...866...2 1 5...4 3 2 4. Leave a message with your observation and the specific location where it occurred. You can also post your report to National Weather Service Blacksburg Facebook page and on Twitter. The latest road conditions for the state you are calling from can be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

More Information

...Wintry mix tapers off by noon today... ...Additional wintry weather begins late tonight and lasts into Sunday morning... Freezing rain, sleet, and snow will impact the region today before tapering off around noon. After a brief break, additional wintry weather begins tonight and last through early Sunday morning. Snow, sleet, and ice accumulations will be slightly higher with the second round than with today's event. Travel will continue to be treacherous.