Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 13-14 Event

The Iceman

18 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

I'm posting my observations. How can observations have a clue or no clue? It's been light freezing rain all afternoon and there is zero accretion on any surfaces. Sorry that hurts your feelings. Some people get worked up over no reason... Par the course for that user.

I think all of this can be true. There’s so much residual salt on walkways and roads. I’m in Overbrook Park on a 2nd floor duplex and my metal patio is completely iced over, as are the metal cars below, but the gravel cement asphalt surfaces aren’t as icy *yet* cus they can absorb some liquid first- even if it’s sub freezing air temp. Metal surfaces and elevated surfaces, even just by one story level, accrete ice so much quicker.

but your rule of thumb is always air temp- if your at 27 and ANYTHING is falling from the sky, assume it’s either super frozen or will freeze on surfaces *eventually* - it’s literally impossible for H2O to remain liquid at 27 degrees if it isn’t already a solution of saline or some other chemical... 

• Weenie 1

36 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

I'm posting my observations. How can observations have a clue or no clue? It's been light freezing rain all afternoon and there is zero accretion on any surfaces. Sorry that hurts your feelings. Some people get worked up over no reason... Par the course for that user.

Again if it’s below freezing and it’s raining you would be getting ice excretions   unless it is extremely light and evaporated or the surfaces  have been treated

ofcourse if it is raining heavily then you could have latent heat that keeps it from ecreting