Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Feb 9th Snow Obs/Nowcast

The 4 Seasons

19 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

2.75".  Lovely.  Everything is Gorgous.  Just drive around , everything right down to how the piles smoothly all to the road, the new snow covering the piles like a blanket.  

Best snow piles in the yard since April 2015.  Looks like a 24" Blizzard just hit.  13" Depth, 18" in at 3 storms.

So 5 hours later Winter is no longer giving you the finger.  It is amazing how a little snow can improve the mood.  Go play.

2.9 inches new here.

Nice refresher of 3.5”. Enjoyable even though it was on the lower end of expectations (I was expecting 3-5” here for the last couple of days). 

Pack is getting impressive with those 4 consecutive snow events (1/26, 2/1, 2/7, 2/9) totaling 31 inches. 

image.jpeg.41610bbe4171ba342d7c5f5d274e641b.jpeg

image.jpeg.458cfb7e4db55761810090171c44d25c.jpeg

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Cool. Yeah I was out and about in New Haven for most of the day, so didn't have a chance to get home before the melting and zr did their thing. Btw, do you have a sense of what our seasonal average snowfall is just inland? I figure New Haven is somewhere in the upper twenties, so maybe low thirties? Solid season this year, despite the January bust.

Ive always wondered that. Here's what i do know.. BDR normal is 27.6". For the past 20 years their average is 38.7". The only two climo sites in CT are BDL/BDR. 

I figure if BDR is 27.6 were at least in the 30st. Ive just assumed 35". I think ~8" higher than BDR is reasonable. However for the last 20 years id say were close to 45".

If you look at this image you can see we (North Haven/Hamden) are on the boarder between the light pink and dark pink which would be around 35". The hills of Hamden Id say would be around 40" and the far southeast side of North Haven closer to 30". Theres a really sharp gradient between the coast and inland from BDR to DXR and HVN to MMK. This climo is old though so it doesnt take into account the last 20 years which were very good. Ive always seen this photo get thrown around since i was a kid in the early 2000s so its at least 15-20 years out of date. So take it with a grain of salt.

snowclimo.png.6db83f532178c94be7be7a333d7a304d.png

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I saw lakeville like 1.5”. Must have been just far enough north. 

Definitely some weird totals around here.  Bands were hits or miss and looked convective.  I got about 7” OTG now.  What’s making this feel different is everything is still caked on the trees from the last storm and hasn’t melted.

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

15.5 here most since March 18

Yeah this is the most since Mar ‘18 here as well. I think we peaked at 27 or 28” that month. We have a legit chance to pass that if we can cash in on one of these larger threats coming up. 

But this one has a much better chance at being the longest sustained pack since 2015. Recent years since 2015 have been pretty cruddy during mid-winter so we’ve melted down to bare ground easily. This one started 1/26 here, so we’ll see if we can run the table  into 2nd half of March or better. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah this is the most since Mar ‘18 here as well. I think we peaked at 27 or 28” that month. We have a legit chance to pass that if we can cash in on one of these larger threats coming up. 

But this one has a much better chance at being the longest sustained pack since 2015. Recent years since 2015 have been pretty cruddy during mid-winter so we’ve melted down to bare ground easily. This one started 1/26 here, so we’ll see if we can run the table  into 2nd half of March or better. 

It hasn’t rained up here since the Grinch Storm I think, at least at elevation.  We had that one wet snow event that was paste above 1,000ft and white rain (but always wet flakes) below in January.  But this 4+ week run without rain or even much above freezing at all has been very fun.  Will have to check the stats on the temps though.

6 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Thanks, those birches have taken a beating since they sprouted.  They’ve grown naturally from some other tree around that I’m not aware of.

The snow still piled on the trees is awesome. I love that, big fetish for me.  The day after Halloween was one of my favorites in a long time. Just caked onto everything with leaves on the trees to boot. 

1 hour ago, klw said:

So 5 hours later Winter is no longer giving you the finger.  It is amazing how a little snow can improve the mood.  Go play.

2.9 inches new here.

Oh no no, there’s still There.  Last weeks debacle will leave a mark forever, and One NEVER seen a radar where a Storm is coming from the West, and it’s snowing EVERYWHERE but On me, and to the West of me.