Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 9th Snow Obs/Nowcast

The 4 Seasons

11 minutes ago, CCHurricane said:

Historic January blizzard that dropped ~3 feet will always be one to remember and nearly impossible to top. I'll never forget how badly the Boston Mets busted, changeover to rain never happened and we just kept snowing.

Not true exactly, it actually did turn to rain for a very short period of time down by the Cape where Mish Michaels was reported in Falmouth. But after that, it was straight snow till the end. Boston proper was never forecast to turn to rain at any point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

what are the top 5 snowiest months, we'll pick ORH as a location. Will?

Feb 2015, Jan 2005, Jan 2011, Jan 1987, Jan 1996, Jan 2015.....prob Feb 1899 in there too.

The top months all seem to be bunched near 50" for the month. Though obviously if you cross over month boundaries, you can get 3-4 week periods with more than that (ala 2015)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

fwiw... back to pretty decent snow here in far nw NJ after a 1 hour hiatus.  Also, not sure if anyone noticed...06z GGEM is heaving snow up o I84 corridor late Wed-early Thu (LI/NYC for sure) before suppressing for 24 hours.  Definitely snow acc coming early Thursday... and do not count out the WAA pulses.  I saw the suppressed 06z EC but with a a pulse of WAA i think its pretty easy to snow to I84, just a 6-12 hour period Thu morning. 12z NAM/RGEM will tell more, whether suppressed as currently or edging back north. Hang on... numerous grazes and in the axis...which is which for each event. It is downright gorgeous here this morning... 20.8F. They didn't bother plowing some of the neighborhoods this morning. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Greg said:

Not true exactly, it actually did for a very short period of time down by the Cape where Mish Michaels was reported in Falmouth. But after that, it was straight snow till the end. Boston proper was never forecast to turn to rain at any point.

Never intended to indicate that Boston was every predicted to changeover to rain. Was speaking specifically about the cape where nearly every met predicted 8-16 inches due to a firm changeover to rain. We ended up with 30-36 inches. Not sure whether a few minutes of mixing would qualify as confirmation given the wildly incorrect amounts.

Matt Noyes did the best if memory serves right. But anyways, off topic, back to this nice little storm!

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

:lol:

You should start a thread of for top 10-day stretches, though....interesting way to quantify things. I would need to think about it for a while....obviously Jan 22- Feb 2 2015 is probably my #1.

I think a KU has to be involved, sprinkled in with at least two other events. To get 3 legit events within 10 days is rare imo, for here at least. 

• Like 1

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I think a KU has to be involved, sprinkled in with at least two other events. To get 3 legit events within 10 days is rare imo, for here at least. 

Yea......next week looks active. I think this week is the coldest, but when all is said and done, next week may be the weenie pinnacle of the season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wdrag said:

fwiw... back to pretty decent snow here in far nw NJ after a 1 hour hiatus.  Also, not sure if anyone noticed...06z GGEM is heaving snow up o I84 corridor late Wed-early Thu (LI/NYC for sure) before suppressing for 24 hours.  Definitely snow acc coming early Thursday... and do not count out the WAA pulses.  I saw the suppressed 06z EC but with a a pulse of WAA i think its pretty easy to snow to I84, just a 6-12 hour period Thu morning. 12z NAM/RGEM will tell more, whether suppressed as currently or edging back north. Hang on... numerous grazes and in the axis...which is which for each event. It is downright gorgeous here this morning... 20.8F. They didn't bother plowing some of the neighborhoods this morning. 

Seems like for SNE.. a few fluffy inches is on the table Thursday night or Friday . Snowing nicely here in NE CT. Planning on 4-7” today. Been a great couple weeks with much more to come as we head for Morch .

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Feb 2015, Jan 2005, Jan 2011, Jan 1987, Jan 1996, Jan 2015.....prob Feb 1899 in there too.

The top months all seem to be bunched near 50" for the month. Though obviously if you cross over month boundaries, you can get 3-4 week periods with more than that (ala 2015)

thanks, as I thought... would be nice to gather best 10 day and 4 week stretches.. will take some digging..

17/15... almost.5" now

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Seems like for SNE.. a few fluffy inches is on the table Thursday night or Friday . Snowing nicely here in NE CT. Planning on 4-7” today. Been a great couple weeks with much more to come as we head for Morch .

:lol:

Just now, CT Rain said:

HRRR is really paltry for the rest of today. 

11 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Agree on all counts. Thursday is already coming in more stout on the NAM . Absolutely gorgeous  this month. 14 inch depth.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wdrag said:

We’re taking drags and loving it...keep it coming.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, CCHurricane said:

Never intended to indicate that Boston was every predicted to changeover to rain. Was speaking specifically about the cape where nearly every met predicted 8-16 inches due to a firm changeover to rain. We ended up with 30-36 inches. Not sure whether a few minutes of mixing would qualify as confirmation given the wildly incorrect amounts.

Matt Noyes did the best if memory serves right. But anyways, off topic, back to this nice little storm!

The rain lasted slightly longer that just a few minutes more like a good 30 minutes or so. Some of you seem to always increase the amounts with the retelling of that storm over time but with MYV and ACK at about 24". It's a general 24 - 30"+. Yes, I know Sagamore stated they got 36" but with Sandwich at 24" right next to it. So I guess to each his own.