Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OBs and nowcast TUESDAY 2A-6P Feb 9, 2021

wdrag

16 hours ago, wdrag said:

528A update:  OKX snow forecast remains the same this morning.  Small chance NYC record 1/2" of snow...southern part of LI should have less snow than than the north.  Otherwise forecast looks fairly close from yesterday. Not sure if nw NJ can exceed 3"? I think best chance spotty max 5-6" is I84 or northward,  high terrain Catskills to northern CT high terrain.  Take whatever we can get. Hope NYC can muster some measurable snow early this morning around sunrise or shortly after. 

Snow begins 2A-5A west of the Hudson River to the Poconos and Catskills;  then thereafter across CT by 730AM. NYC snow at daybreak may accumulate 1/2-1" before quitting and/or changing to rain midday then may end briefly as snow toward sunset. The snow over nw NJ through se NYS and CT may accumulate as much as 6 inches in a few high terrain spots but most of the snow fall should be in the range of  3-5" there. South of I-78 in NJ, to I-I95 a period of snow tomorrow morning may change to freezing rain or rain before tapering off in the afternoon with Trace to 2" accumulations. Untreated roads along and south of I-80 and LI may  be briefly slushy in the morning before melting begins. Hilly area untreated secondary roads to the nw to n and ne of NYC will be a bit slippery at times.  Snow, especially during the morning commute could result in some accidents and travel delays, especially hill towns. There might be a few school districts in the hilly areas with in-person classes that may close at the last minute, especially se NYS and far nw NJ. Graphics are the OKX snow forecast and the chance of greater than 1" as issued at 330PM. 

Screen_Shot_2021-02-08_at_5_56.32_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2021-02-08_at_5_58.14_PM.png

This busted big time for anyone south of 287 (maybe even 84)

4 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

Too early for details on storm this weekend especially with GFS 5+ days out. 

The storm this weekend will have everything to do with the placement of the TPV & SE ridge strength.

Gfs adjusted more suppressed/colder but the end result would still be a snow to mix/rain solution. Looks like canadian is similar. 

You guys to the north should clean up while areas near NYC are in a more precarious spot. 

6 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

The storm this weekend will have everything to do with the placement of the TPV & SE ridge strength.

Gfs adjusted more suppressed/colder but the end result would still be a snow to mix/rain solution. Looks like canadian is similar. 

You guys to the north should clean up while areas near NYC are in a more precarious spot. 

The Canadian gives a prolonged period of sleet and freezing rain with the weekend storm. Long way to go on that one.

Had a brief period of light snow here in central Passaic County, about 5 miles south of 287. Snow ended around 7:45am leaving maybe a quarter inch. Nothing since then. Did not expect too much snow, but was hoping for at least an inch or two. Oh well, can't complain after 20 inches of snow last week and 7 inches on Sunday.

• Thanks 1

I had just under 3" from the main burst this morning. I've been literally on the fringe since with occasional flurries with slightly heavier bursts for a minute or three at a time, nothing that accumulated though but, for the last 30 minutes or so it's been mystery precip. It's frozen but really wet and now everything I cleaned is a sheet of ice and it's flipping back to all light snow as I'm typing. It ought to be fun when this sticks to the layer of ice that's forming on everything :yikes:

28/26/NE2/SN-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I had just under 3" from the main burst this morning. I've been literally on the fringe since with occasional flurries with slightly heavier bursts for a minute or three at a time, nothing that accumulated though but, for the last 30 minutes or so it's been mystery precip. It's frozen but really wet and now everything I cleaned is a sheet of ice and it's flipping back to all light snow as I'm typing. It ought to be fun when this sticks to the layer of ice that's forming on everything :yikes:

28/26/NE2/SN-

Sounds like freezing mist.

• Rjay unpinned this topic