Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 10-12, 2021 Winter Event

MN Transplant

8 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I mean, precip starts in the western area by afternoon. Ok, let’s wait for the euro to fold like a cheap suit.

I say you pull a Leroy Jenkins and start the Obs.. if the Euro tries to throw us something, we can share it there.. but the writing is clear! And we will be seeing echoes soon!!

6 minutes ago, King George Dee said:

Hey remember we are not all as far north as you...What's happening in Fredericksburg, VA area?  

If you read back through the thread - it has been covered, I think. Summed up, a few days ago your area looked great as the Euro and a few others were showing it south of DC. DT put out  a map that had you at edge of 10" countour. Since then, it appears to have shifted north with wave 1 and your area hoping to catch some of wave 2 (Thursday night into Friday). I don't know latest on sensible expectations for your area for accumulations from the two systems, but probably not what DT was showing 24 hours ago. 

Just now, North Balti Zen said:

If you read back through the thread - it has been covered, I think. Summed up, a few days ago your area looked great as the Euro and a few others were showing it south of DC. DT put out  a map that had you at edge of 10" countour. Since then, it appears to have shifted north with wave 1 and your area hoping to catch some of wave 2 (Thursday night into Friday). I don't know latest on sensible expectations for your area for accumulations from the two systems, but probably not what DT was showing 24 hours ago. 

To be fair the reality is rarely if ever what DT was showing 24 hours ago. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, high risk said:

I wouldn't recommend hanging my hat on the GFS para snow maps.     Maybe it's right that it will snow in DC (although there seems to be a consensus for sleet turning to rain), but it keeps the surface at 34/35.     That's not going to get the job done for accumulations, even at night.

The snow map is def wonky. I’m seeing temps on the para of about 32-33 in the northern half of the district at least. Hoping that that might be at least good for 1-2 inches of snow/sleet.

3 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

For the first time this year I’m actually pretty bummed. This was an epic rug pull. I mean just a few hours out...man this one hurts. 

I'm numb to it now.  I never bought into this one knowing it would somehow fail.  I'm convinced we finish a second straight winter without a WSW level snow.  Trip to Dallas for their cold smoke snowstorm Monday with temps in the teen and 20s?  LOL

1 minute ago, ravensrule said:

Unfortunately we will probably also get screwed but it's nice to see until we get screwed and PSU and Mappy get 6"

My bar honestly is 2" and I THINK its pretty attainable...of course the pavement will likely struggle more in my area but thats per usual.  If I can get 3-5" Ill be pumped...and not short pumped either

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warm Nose said:

Cue the inevitable bashing of the models since they weren't verbatim and trends went the wrong way for this sub ...

Trends always go the wrong way for the DC area, it's not really a question of verbatim or not. But I would agree that the models aren't the problem. In my personal opinion, the problem is the forecast office personnel who keep putting out unrealistic short-term forecasts. Busting low consistently for years means something isn't working right.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic