Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 10-12, 2021 Winter Event

MN Transplant

6 minutes ago, blizzardmeiser said:

Spring is coming but we need a few more big hits before that happens. 

Going to be hard to keep people in DC and NOVA invested in this winter much longer.. This was supposed to be the one storm that was A) Easy to track.  B ) Overrunning and hard to miss us C ) Cold and all snow D) Depending on model runs, wedged between jackpot just north or a jackpot just south, so in a good position. Yet, it looks like we are going to still fail.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, toolsheds said:

I really love the invisible barrier otherwise known as the Mason Dixon Line which seems to depict a massive cold air dam.....

I do know that is it's just the combo of both services just sending out their forecasts and it looking very ugly on a map but it is just amazing that they don't collaborate on these forecasts at some point. 

2 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Really amazing how the Euro just completely blew this from 3-4 days out.  There was little to no 850 push on the Euro as of a few days ago.  The GFS and the longer range NAM had it.

The NAM also led the way on insisting that it would be significantly warmer at the surface.

• Like 2

It makes sense that if the first wave is stronger, it drags the boundary farther south where wave 2 rides along it. And that creates a screw zone where they don’t overlap. 

On another note, 3k NAM soundings look much improved for central MD vs yesterday when it was looking like a weaker wave 1. After the first hour or two of snow, there’s nice dendrite production for the whole event except right as the mix line pokes a bit north near 8z.

• Like 3

Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

Inside 60 hours, the NAM has been money all winter.

Even if not perfect, the output has been a harbinger of eventual outcome. I mean, the model is doing what it is supposed to do.. giving guidance that can be used to make educated forecasts. I am impressed. It is becoming clear that this year, the way things are set up, it is a model that needs respect for possibilities. No model is perfect, but they do let you know what to watch for... Much more respect. I feel @ers-wxman1  should chime in as he saw the merit to it in the first storm.

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

It makes sense that if the first wave is stronger, it drags the boundary farther south where wave 2 rides along it. And that creates a screw zone where they don’t overlap. 

On another note, 3k NAM soundings look much improved for central MD vs yesterday when it was looking like a weaker wave 1. After the first hour or two of snow, there’s nice dendrite production for the whole event except right as the mix mix like pokes a bit north near 8z.

Been feeling for the last day or two that we (the HoCo crew) might finally be in one of the better spots for this one. Bout time right!?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Shocking it caved to ALL OTHER GUIDANCE 

It's frustrating honestly.  I know it was on an Island but no terribly so. The euro and EPS were honking pretty loud for an event at 90 hours! In years past, that seemed to be a great spot.  What good is the EPS if at 90 hours, showing a max precip stripe through the area with buffer on both sides only to completely go the other way only 24hrs later.  I know i know, blend everything but frustrating, especially for us near and south of DC.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LP08 said:

It's frustrating honestly.  I know it was on an Island but no terribly so. The euro and EPS were honking pretty loud for an event at 90 hours! In years past, that seemed to be a great spot.  What good is the EPS if at 90 hours, showing a max precip stripe through the area with buffer on both sides only to completely go the other way only 24hrs later.  I know i know, blend everything but frustrating, especially for us near and south of DC.

Euro has definitely NOT been a locked in rock inside 72hrs like it used to be. I’ve seen people on Twitter speculate it’s due to the reduction of aircraft data feeding into it due to covid. But i figure that would impact all the models, so I’m not sure. 

• Like 3

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Euro has definitely NOT been a locked in rock inside 72hrs like it used to be. I’ve seen people on Twitter speculate it’s due to the reduction of aircraft data feeding into it due to covid. But i figure that would impact all the models, so I’m not sure. 

IIRC, the euro relies pretty heavily on aircraft data because of the data void over the Atlantic Ocean.

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Moreso than other guidance?

Yes. I learned this ironically at the ESRI conference in San Diego where a rep. from the ECMWF showed a data density map of observations and how there really isn't any ship or buoy data in the Atlantic. They were able to pull a lot of commercial aircraft data down because that's the only heads up they get about the mid latitude cyclones pushing into Europe.

8 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

It probably did impact them all and we just didn't notice because the other ones already sucked. :lol:

Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

Yes. I learned this ironically at the ESRI conference in San Diego where a rep. from the ECMWF showed a data density map of observations and how there really isn't any ship or buoy data in the Atlantic. They were able to pull a lot of commercial aircraft data down because that's the only heads up they get about the mid latitude cyclones pushing into Europe.

Interesting, thanks. But given that’s downwind of us, would need to see if that impacts these short range forecasts over North America.

10 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

It would but it’s hypothetically possible for a reduction in data to effect one more then other depending on how much they rely on initialization. 

10 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I mean, I’ll take a euro/NAM blend right now quite happily for MBY. Is the WRF the one you said you liked on Sunday?

14 minutes ago, AmericanWxFreak said:

what does it show for HoCo?

I do like this model, but I suspect it's a bit wet for tonight.   I sure do love where it puts the heavier stripe:

sn10_acc.us_ma.thumb.png.8fa2c8629395afd050ca178ebff4971a.png

• Like 4
  • Weenie 4

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic