Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
February 10-12, 2021 Winter Event

MN Transplant

1 minute ago, snowmagnet said:

I like that analogy.  That was a distinct overperformer and very location dependent. it was dumping snow in Fairfax during the morning rush while it was doing almost nothing over the beltway in Silver Spring.  

Yep, I think one of these coming waves can hopefully produce!  I worked in Tysons at the time and had to take several coworkers home in my CRV which was a champ in snow.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

It’s not”drying up” because it does not predict but rather right now is covering the drier example base. 6 and 12 hours from now another example will be given 

BTW...would be nice if you ever just once offered some concrete evidence for this slander against everyone who works in NWP including some on this board that you continually puke all over this forum!

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

On the good news front, temps here are below forecasted and we’ve had almost complete cloud cover so no solar warming of the roads and ground. Or less I should say

I was worried I might lose some snowpack today but temps only made it to the mid 30s and had cloud cover and now they are dropping again so...didn't really make a dent.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I was worried I might lose some snowpack today but temps only made it to the mid 30s and had cloud cover and now they are dropping again so...didn't really make a dent.  

What’s this thing that you refer to as “snowpack”?

High of 50.5 here.  Better than the 54-55 a few of the models were spitting out a couple of days ago.

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yes... you are right the models are programmed not to attempt to produce the most accurate simulation each run, but to intentionally jump all over the place and show every possible outcome so that we can...I dunno your motive here is a little unclear...screw with snow weenies?  And...they do this because EVERY weather agency in the world, public and private, even ones that compete with each other, encompassing tens of thousands of people, are all in bed as part of some HUGE conspiracy to...again your motive is kinda weak here...I guess they just recruit a bunch of people who have no morals and want to fool the public and screw with snow weenies and they all come together across dozens of countries and agencies for that goal!  I am so glad we have you to shine a light on this.  

Tosses tinfoil hat on the table I KNEW IT!

• Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, ovechkin said:

50 already downtown. We blow by forecasted highs more than DC drivers blow stop signs. 

Roasty toasty 47 with the sun out here in Silver Spring. Hoping for some half decent overnight rates so we get some accums by thursday AM. Also hoping cloud cover tomorrow verifies. The ground is still relatively cold after our chilly/wet stretch, snow still hanging on in some grassy spots but prolly all gone after this afternoon.

14 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

On the good news front, temps here are below forecasted and we’ve had almost complete cloud cover so no solar warming of the roads and ground. Or less I should say

Same here -- we were forecast to hit 45 and will only make it to 38, and it has been cloudy almost the entire time other than a couple of brief peeks of sun. 

24 minutes ago, caviman2201 said:

Can someone smarter than me tell me what they're thinking about ratios on this? Seems plenty cold but soundings show very little lift in the DGZ for this event. WxBell showing Kuchera ratios around 8-10:1. Does that seem reasonable?

I thought I was seeing the opposite in regards to Kuchera ratios - looked like they were more 12:1 given that the kuchera maps showed more than the 10:1 maps

7 minutes ago, caviman2201 said:

Fwiw 18z HRRR is much better on the north side than the Euro

I expect a bit of a last second correction with QPF on the north side of the storm as we get closer to the event. Not necessarily via the storm trending north... but I think the cutoff being depicted on the Euro for you folks located between DC and BAL is a bit exaggerated. GFS/UKMET may be onto something here.  PSU is right... it will be a battle up in the far northern tier with a dry flow eating away from the north, but I think places like HoCo MoCo and Baltimore could certainly see solid QPF (~.7-.8) when all is said and done if the flow is even a LITTLE less overbearing up in PA. May be of nowcast type situation for folks between DC/BAL

• Like 3

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic