• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Monday Feb 15 - midday Feb 16, 2021 Significant Winter Ice Event interior

wdrag

Let's review the Feb 7 initial post. The title changed enroute  (i think I had 14-18 for the event window 7+days in advance). Perspective on what our modeling was indicating follows.  

Initial post from 2/7 midday. Have included rain in the tags, because we're close to having rain ,at times, within the overall cold enough pattern for snow and Ice, mainly along and northwest of I95. QPF this 5 day period should  be in the range of a general 0.5" minimum,  to possibly a maximum ~1.5". How much falls as snow, ice, rain is unknown and debatable. Multiple ensembles offer plenty of snow in and to the west and north of our subforum.  Favorable blocking for northeast snowfall appears to remain through this period, and well beyond. Am witnessing via modeling and reality,  a balancing of the cold core from southwest Canada to the northern Plains and Great Lakes shooting off pieces into the northeast USA,  then on into the north Atlantic. These reestablish-reinforce the blocking -NAO  from northern Canada to Greenland, and, following each pulse of CAA that moves through our subforum, there is WAA ahead of the next short wave.  So far, the cold core has not broken off in total,  to change the pattern and so, the snow opportunities continue on and on.  February is already off to a special start and we may be heading for a top 10 snowiest February (see attached February Central Park ranking and year). 

Will narrow the goal posts on these possibilities for this 5 day period as we draw closer.  My most confident period of something significant-substantial is the 16th-17th, but I have to consider some of the modeling that likes Valentines Day for an event and also the 16th-17th, delayed a day til the 18th.  

What happened?  A little bit of junk ice/flurries here and there the 14th (better ice the day before on the 13th along and se of I95, (that was our RIC ice storm).  The primary event was the night of the 15th, morning of the 16th. It was generally ~0.4-1.25" of rain as far as I can tell, with rain and non hazardous spotty icing I95 corridor southeastward and ice northwest of that, with a busted heavy ice forecast for the northwest part of the forum.  That bust I think in part was related to twice the reality qpf forecast (please see attached), not the temperatures. So in the middle of where the ICE was supposed to be thickest, the rainfall was significantly less.  This happens. QPF modeling imperfect and I doubt if I can improve on banded qpf deviating from the models.   Power outages and downed trees/wires occurred in parts of the Poconos northward, just outside the members in the northwest part of our area (see Monroe County reports). Experimental guidance such as the HPC HREF and HRRX can be too heavy on icing and were again or are displaced.  The GFSV16 did a nice job on the FRAM ice expectation as did NAM temps and eventually RGEM temps. QPF's, not so good.   And an event is coming the 18th.   IF anyone has a better archive of RADAR qpf from DIX or OKX, please attach.  Thanks much.  

Screen_Shot_2021-02-16_at_1_47.49_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2021-02-16_at_6_28.07_PM.png

0.84" rain in Smithtown.

We cut the snowpack almost in half since yesterday morning. Was 12" Monday morning, 9" this morning and we lost another 2 or 3 inches under the Saharan sun this afternoon.  No bare spots here, there are some on the sides of Main Street down in town.  I was down in Islandia this afternoon (near the LIE) and there is noticeably less snow there with bare spots.The good news is that there is plenty left on the north shore to freeze into a nice solid base waiting to get covered up with Thursday's anticipated snowfall.  I'll be back out on the skis soon enough. 

The bad news is I'm supposed to be leading a completely filled group hike in the Catskills on Thursday and unless there is a cosmic shift in this evenings guidance, I'm going to have to cancel it due to expected travel conditions, especially for the downstate folks.