Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday Feb 15 - midday Feb 16, 2021 Significant Winter Ice Event interior

wdrag

9 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

I guess I'm in the minority but I love ice. I don't think there's a more beautiful scene than having trees coated with sparkling ice. It looks spectacular.

It's quite a marvel to look at from the safety of home but I don't want to be on the roads.  Look at the highway disaster in Texas yesterday.  Power lines and tree limbs going down are always a concern too.

3 minutes ago, gmendevils8204 said:

It's quite a marvel to look at from the safety of home but I don't want to be on the roads.  Look at the highway disaster in Texas yesterday.  Power lines and tree limbs going down are always a concern too.

Texas is in for a hell of a time. 

Hopefully the warmer guidance is correct and we stay just above freezing.

• Like 1

As someone who would be intrigued with the possibility of an ice storm warning criteria event since it's such a novelty around here, they almost never end up coming to fruition. Most of the time they end up as sleet or plain rain with some ice mixed in. You really need surface temperatures in the mid 20's or lower with significant warming at 900mb to get significant icing. 

Just basing off the 06z soundings but it looks like mostly sleet to me until you get South of Rt 78.

8 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

As someone who would be intrigued with the possibility of an ice storm warning criteria event since it's such a novelty around here, they almost never end up coming to fruition. Most of the time they end up as sleet or plain rain with some ice mixed in. You really need surface temperatures in the mid 20's or lower with significant warming at 900mb to get significant icing. 

Just basing off the 06z soundings but it looks like mostly sleet to me until you get South of Rt 78.

The good news is that the storm is in and out by early Wednesday so I would think <.5” for most; still, a very messy time if it were to play out. We just saw what happened in Texas with even <.1” 

15 minutes ago, crossbowftw3 said:

The good news is that the storm is in and out by early Wednesday so I would think <.5” for most; still, a very messy time if it were to play out. We just saw what happened in Texas with even <.1” 

IMO all major roads should be shut down in advance if we have a major crippling ice storm.

42 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Nam is really amped

Impossible to tell what is going to do from there. It actually has 850's that are not to warm could be a secondary ready to develop (plus the NAM is always amped at 84)..

The RGEM does it own thing with light precip basically coming in much earlier monday 

4 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

why less freezing rain in the city- mostly sleet there?

Weenie maps are for weenies. That's not just for snow, but for all precip types.

The soundings mostly support plenty of sleet and freezing rain for the whole area.

Freezing rain is more likely closer to the coast where the cold air is shallower. I would still favor mostly plain rain for the city but the surface temps on the GFS sure give me pause for concern.

The GFS is usually too warm at the surface. 

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

Weenie maps are for weenies. That's not just for snow, but for all precip types.

The soundings mostly support plenty of sleet and freezing rain for the whole area.

You're likely to see a transition zone where you go from mostly sleet to mostly freezing rain, which would be more likely closer to the coast where the cold air is shallower. 

sounds somewhat like the two events in 2007 (Feb/Mar)

5 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

sounds somewhat like the two events in 2007 (Feb/Mar)

Those we could deal with better than freezing rain, though I could care less about sleet. I will say that those events, at least the Feb one, were big snow events elsewhere, like out in PA, not sure what the deal is with this. Sleet, although less than ZR, is just a pain. But the weather doesn't care what I think....darn it...

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mikem81 said:

Difficult to comprehend what the models are spiting out. A weak LP is basically cutting into an artic banana high

All I can see from reading the NWS is unsettled weather of the most miserable kind. For days it seems. Never seen anything like prolonged days of sleet and freezing rain. This has potential to be umm, bad.

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

All I can see from reading the NWS is unsettled weather of the most miserable kind. For days it seems. Never seen anything like prolonged days of sleet and freezing rain. This has potential to be umm, bad.

I believe the fact that models have picked up on an additional wave of precip for Monday has forced the trough to get stuck to the west of the area and keeps upper levels warm. The HP in canda still brings in colder air at the surface but not until Tuesday (as the very weak LP monday Monday ends up in the Lakes region and keep the flow aloft out of the SW).