Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday Feb 15 - midday Feb 16, 2021 Significant Winter Ice Event interior

wdrag

59 minutes ago, EpicHECS said:

I replied to this in another thread: There was NO 2-4" freezing rain event in the the NY area back in January of '94. I have no idea what you're getting this confused with because there has never been an ice storm of that magnitude in these areas. I also don't live anywhere near Allentown. I'm quite far north of you. 

Very true, the Jan 94 ice storm was .5-.75” of ice. Impactful but not significant. If we were to ever have a 1”+ ice storm in the metro it would make any of our wind events looks like a walk in the park as far as power issues 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, EpicHECS said:

That's what I was basically saying: He had two locations listed - one in Allentown and the other out on LI. Either location is far south of me. So, it's likely he had some kind of major icing event (as you detail) and it was nothing but snow where I was at the time. We're also going back to Jan of '94 here. Not exactly yesterday but that's beside the point. The point is what you finish with: One day, a 1"-2" icestorm IS going to effect a large area in and around NYc. And it's going to be devastating, especially in the suburbs which are riddled with trees and powerlines. That was my original point. I think it's a matter of when this event occurs - not if. 

Just look at what happened to Montreal In Jan 98. Just a massive system wide power failure taking multiple weeks to fix. That’s a multi billion dollar disaster I do not want to witness. I’m waiting for my cat 3 Long Island hurricane strike, which will have similar effects.

9 hours ago, EpicHECS said:

I replied to this in another thread: There was NO 2-4" freezing rain event in the the NY area back in January of '94. I have no idea what you're getting this confused with because there has never been an ice storm of that magnitude in these areas. I also don't live anywhere near Allentown. I'm quite far north of you. 

I live in central jersey and it was either following the blizzard of 96 or in 94

We turned the soccer fields into ice hockey rinks.

All the towns street hockey "players" we had a few groups who'd play on different freshly paved streets all over the town.

All converged on the soccer fields, with ice skates.

Schools were shut down for the entire week.

We played ice hockey on socker fields monday thrhough friday.

The first day I was able to ice skate across town to the soccer field which was a mile skate.

Never experienced anything like it before or since.

Inches of ice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

25 minutes ago, scoobydoo1 said:

I live in central jersey and it was either following the blizzard of 96 or in 94

We turned the soccer fields into ice hockey rinks.

All the towns street hockey "players" we had a few groups who'd play on different freshly paved streets all over the town.

All converged on the soccer fields, with ice skates.

Schools were shut down for the entire week.

We played ice hockey on socker fields monday thrhough friday.

The first day I was able to ice skate across town to the soccer field which was a mile skate.

Never experienced anything like it before or since.

Inches of ice.

Lived on Long Island in 94, we were encased in a thick layer of ice for weeks.  Went a long time without reaching 32.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Since this thread is covering multiple storms

Sunday is looking more and more like a light to moderate ice event

Tuesday looks like a mostly snow (possibly significant event) 

Not going to bother with trying to analyze the late week storm yet

Canadian more impressive then GFS for Sunday

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_11.png