Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Obs and nowcast Super Bowl Sunday 4A-6P Feb 7, 2021

wdrag

9 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

this reminds me of a storm we had in Feb 2010 where we got 4 inches and Long Beach was less than an inch, very marginal storm just like this one.  Did you see my post in the Banter thread?  Some people just dont want to admit we're having a snowy season lol.

2/3/14 was the absolute worst here. I had about 4" of absolutely dumping snow then it turned to heavy rain while north of Sunrise Highway kept dumping for hours. I ended with something like 7" while the rest of the island had 12+. It can be amazing here for snowstorms like Boxing Day 2010, 12/19/09, 1/3/18, even 3/21/18 but tons of disappointments in between. I have a feeling Monday was really nice here, there was at least a foot right down to the beach and the radar looked amazing for a few hours. Now I live in a place where I'll be about the last one to mix/change over on the island. My (now former office since I've been WFH) work location is Melville so made it convenient to move to Huntington. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

2/3/14 was the absolute worst here. I had about 4" of absolutely dumping snow then it turned to heavy rain while north of Sunrise Highway kept dumping for hours. I ended with something like 7" while the rest of the island had 12+. It can be amazing here for snowstorms like Boxing Day 2010, 12/19/09, 1/3/18, even 3/21/18 but tons of disappointments in between. I have a feeling Monday was really nice here, there was at least a foot right down to the beach and the radar looked amazing for a few hours. Now I live in a place where I'll be about the last one to mix/change over on the island. My (now former office since I've been WFH) work location is Melville so made it convenient to move to Huntington. 

I remember that and it left a sour taste in my mouth for the entire winter.  I preferred 14-15 far more, much colder and better back half to winter...and the first really good March event we've had in a long time and started the streak of snowy Marches lol.

You've got some elevation in your new location in addition to being further north, so you should do really well in marginal situations.

8 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I remember that and it left a sour taste in my mouth for the entire winter.  I preferred 14-15 far more, much colder and better back half to winter...and the first really good March event we've had in a long time and started the streak of snowy Marches lol.

You've got some elevation in your new location in addition to being further north, so you should do really well in marginal situations.

Tuesday might be one of those situations. I fully expect down here to be a quick changeover to rain but in Huntington maybe 1-3". Over a season those kind of differences add up. 12/17 this winter was another, I had 8" but Long Beach maybe 4-5. In March 2019 I drove to LB after an early March snow event and was amazed how fast the snow cover dropped off south of the LIE. In my yard I had a good 4-5" but in Long Beach some patches here and there. I'd say the LIE is a good dividing line. South of there is where the elevation becomes flat and the warming ocean effect can take over much easier. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Tuesday might be one of those situations. I fully expect down here to be a quick changeover to rain but in Huntington maybe 1-3". Over a season those kind of differences add up. 12/17 this winter was another, I had 8" but Long Beach maybe 4-5. In March 2019 I drove to LB after an early March snow event and was amazed how fast the snow cover dropped off south of the LIE. In my yard I had a good 4-5" but in Long Beach some patches here and there. I'd say the LIE is a good dividing line. South of there is where the elevation becomes flat and the warming ocean effect can take over much easier. 

and even when it's cold the snow seems to melt much faster- is that because of more urbanization, the salt in the air near the ocean or both?

13 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Can't really say. Plenty of snow melted in Huntington this week too. The couple of degrees does make a difference. 

The biggest reason for variation in how fast snowmelts around here is nighttime temperatures.  If one place radiates below freezing and another stays above freezing all night, the difference is substantial.  In the morning when snow that has been softening all night in the city starts melting even faster, the frozen snow in colder areas takes a while to start melting even as the temperatures go above freezing.  It is a very large difference when the UHI holds court in NYC.

Hi guys, wanted to post this yesterday but totally forgot, question for my fellow SW Suffolk members. My original snowpack was down to an average 4" this morning, but it was up to an average of 12.7" after the storm when I checked. Therefore that would give me a total of 8.7" of snow from this event, might that be a little too high? I figured I might have accidently undermeasured my original snowpack if it is actually a little too much

Hi guys, wanted to post this yesterday but totally forgot, question for my fellow SW Suffolk members. My original snowpack was down to an average 4" this morning, but it was up to an average of 12.7" after the storm when I checked. Therefore that would give me a total of 8.7" of snow from this event, might that be a little too high? I figured I might have accidently undermeasured my original snowpack if it is actually a little too much
In West Islip... Thinking, 6" from this storm... The beginning robbed us... band setup over CT coast...

Have 10-11" OTG... was down to 4-5"...

Beautiful out...

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

• Like 1