• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Super Bowl Sunday Snow Show

Stovepipe

This is a fantastic product put together by Jack Sillin.  He is definitely a  recommended new follow for TwitterWx peeps.  If he can figure out how to automate this product I think it will be a great tool for the toolbox.

What this says to me for the Tennessee Valley is there is a chance for more amplification.  Increased ridging in Alaska and a more robust (deeper) low coming into the northwest vs the forecast could help this dive a bit more coming into the southern plains, creating a track just to the west or northwest of where it's currently projected and a little stronger than currently projected.  Time will tell, but definitely something to watch to see how the globals react to the new data.

I wonder if this data was used in the 12z mesoscale models?  Since there was a bump back northwest and what looked like the upper level energy being a bit stronger,  I'd say it likely was.

ROAB 12z Balloon Data 02052021.jpg

• Like 3

This is a fantastic product put together by Jack Sillin.  He is definitely a  recommended new follow for TwitterWx peeps.  If he can figure out how to automate this product I think it will be a great tool for the toolbox.

What this says to me for the Tennessee Valley is there is a chance for more amplification.  Increased ridging in Alaska and a more robust (deeper) low coming into the northwest vs the forecast could help this dive a bit more coming into the southern plains, creating a track just to the west or northwest of where it's currently projected and a little stronger than currently projected.  Time will tell, but definitely something to watch to see how the globals react to the new data.
I wonder if this data was used in the 12z mesoscale models?  Since there was a bump back northwest and what looked like the upper level energy being a bit stronger,  I'd say it likely was.
2015017407_ROAB12zBalloonData02052021.thumb.jpg.3b56b9aa6c08ff23741c75a5d940a3de.jpg

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, tnweathernut said:

I don't think that kicker racing in from the northwest is doing us any favors, but it does look better at the surface.  This system just kind of developed right under our nose, so it's almost a bonus to be discussing winter this weekend.

I wonder what implications, if any, that kicker digging more would have on the evolution of this system. Not saying that will happen, but if the Sillin info is an indication, that kicker might end up digging more based on the Pac set up and that might allow more room for this one to amplify. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Kuchera ratios aren't available for the 6 and 18z runs, but it's probably a good bet that the ratios will be less than 10:1. 

I’m not going to disagree with you and I’ve only been following valley weather/climate  for the last five years or so-I’m no expert.  That said, in previous southern locations I lived I rarely ever had a melted equivalence of less than 10:1.  In fact the lowest I’ve ever gotten is 8:1 and that was in an absolute slopstorm.  Again not arguing but I think 10:1 is fair for most assuming no significant mixing.  

I actually did a project with KSHB when I lived in KC to determine the average ratio for the winter events there in 2006.  The lead met was certain it would be around 10-12:1, it ended up being 18:1 which was significant because he said 20:1 ratios were rare outside of lake/ocean/orographic impacted locations, which KC obviously has none of.    

That said, if a 3” snow falls and the nws logs it as 1.7” like they seem to do here a lot then 15:1 can become 8:1 rather quickly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Save the itchy algae! said:

I’m not going to disagree with you and I’ve only been following valley weather/climate  for the last five years or so-I’m no expert.  That said, in previous southern locations I lived I rarely ever had a melted equivalence of less than 10:1.  In fact the lowest I’ve ever gotten is 8:1 and that was in an absolute slopstorm.  Again not arguing but I think 10:1 is fair for most assuming no significant mixing.  

I actually did a project with KSHB when I lived in KC to determine the average ratio for the winter events there in 2006.  The lead met was certain it would be around 10-12:1, it ended up being 18:1 which was significant because he said 20:1 ratios were rare outside of lake/ocean/orographic impacted locations, which KC obviously has none of.    

That said, if a 3” snow falls and the nws logs it as 1.7” like they seem to do here a lot then 15:1 can become 8:1 rather quickly.

Sounds like you know more than I do, so I'm happy to go with your analysis!  I guess I'm getting so jaded about the whole thing that I default to "what could go wrong" mode, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That is a consolidated SLP on the NAM.  If real, that could get a lot stronger.  I know what the pressure says on the coast but look at the shape of the storm.  It is an expansive, comma shaped winter storm.  Let’s see if any other modeling bites.

It better dig if it gets stronger or Lexington is in play.

I know it's been said, but at least for east Tennessee this winter has been infinitely better than the previous 2 winters.  Even for middle and west Tennessee I bet it's had to at least feel like a fairly normal winter to this point.

Oh it’s been night and day better